Transmission issue

Blacktrain11

Threads
I have a White rider Model # LT 542 G Serial # 1E236B30253 D.O.M. 5/2006 (7 speed) all speeds 1-7 work fine but 1-3 speed works for about 5 min. and slowly comes to a stop. The belt stops turning. 4-7 speed everything works the way it should. I removed the centrifugal clutch to make sure the pulley slides up and down and it works like it should. I have replaced the transmission belts also. Any ideas? I appreciate your help...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would bet that the variable speed pulley is worn and possibly has grooves in it causing the belt to bottom out in the groove. Also I wouldn't overlook the engine pulley for the same type of wear pattern allowing slippage. And make sure you are using OEM belts and not generic off the shelf belts since the width and cutter angle are incorrect for the pulleys on the mower.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The speed shift selector just changes the tightness of the belts/pulleys. When the mower starts acting up, just move the shifter without depressing the pedal and move it back and forth. See what happens.
Also, when it starts acting up, using your foot, pull back on the pedal and see what happens.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you have a removable panel between your legs, remove it, so you can watch the belts and pullies.

Blacktrain11

Threads
I tried moving the shift selector when it acts up and everything works ok from 4-7 but 1-3 it slowly slowes down and comes to a stop. I did this without pressing on the pedal. Also pulling back on the pedal changed nothing. I have viewed the belts while driving the mower and when you put it in 1, 2, or 3 the mower slowly comes to a stop and the belt stops. you can see the pully on top of the transmission slowly come to a stop. 4-7 it acts normal. I have ordered a variable speed pulley and I will try that. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you replace the belts with the correct ones? Or just found some the same length?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When replacing the variable pulley don't forget to replace the two 6203-2RS bearings in the mount.

Blacktrain11

Threads
Received the new variable pulley and that did the trick, works like it should. Thank you all for all your help it was greatly appreciated.