trailer weight

sss

Threads
my ride on is a 14.5hp mtd with towbar i have a trailer which weighs 40kg it can carry 500lb could the mower cope with it fully loaded?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
my ride on is a 14.5hp mtd with towbar i have a trailer which weighs 40kg it can carry 500lb could the mower cope with it fully loaded?

Odds are unless you are moving 500 pounds of rocks or gravel, your tractor will do fine. What are you planning to haul in the trailer?

My older Deere 318 pulled around a 200 pound utility trailer with 800 pounds of wood on it, and the tractor only had 18 hp. Just be sure the trailer you use will have enough weight ahead of the axle so it doesn't lift the rear of your tractor and cause a loss of traction.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
first...i have no idea what mower you have...second...that doesnt sound good...these are very light duty machines....and your transmission is the weakest link....but you can test it at your own risk....going uphill and downhill are the real tests

sss

Threads
Im putting wood into the trailer so i can move it from one side of my small holding to the other across the fieds i thought about the transmition as the ground is a bit steep in places but it is a hydro so the gearbox is conected directly to the axel no direct chain drive. i know it can tow 100lb as i have done it before but this is closer to 450lb.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
a hydro wont do it if it cant...itll just sit there on the hill....i would test it with progressing loads.....but remember these things have one tiny brake!

benski

Threads
Five hundred pounds is five hundred pounds, regardless of the commodity. I'd start out at a half or third of that number and see how things go. Watch out for any big hills, especially going down:eek:. Also, any rough spots on your journey that can load/unload your drivetrain suddenly. Just my $.02.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Five hundred pounds is five hundred pounds, regardless of the commodity. I'd start out at a half or third of that number and see how things go. Watch out for any big hills, especially going down:eek:. Also, any rough spots on your journey that can load/unload your drivetrain suddenly. Just my $.02.

Good advice, OP didn't really tell us any specifics so I assumed load was on level ground. A rolling load on level ground is a lot easier than one on bumpy ground. I really doubt he could get 500 pounds into a trailer that weighs 90 pounds unless it was high density materials.

benski

Threads
You might be absolutely right about that.:biggrin: An 80 or 88 lb. trailer probably doesn't have a very big deck.