Tractor's mower vs rock

ramone899

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all. Ran over a good sized rock (accidentally) today, mower and engine of tractor stopped abruptly. Checked both blades and replaced one that looked a little bent. mandrels turned ok and belts looked ok. But when I start the engine then try to engage the mowers, the engine dies.

Tractor is Sears Craftsman 42 in. deck. 4 years old. I use mulching blades and change them each year. The deck was at it's full height when the rock appeared.

Trying to figure out why the engine dies when the mowers are engaged.

Thanks.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
PTO switch went bad when you ran over that rock.

ramone899

Forum Newbie
Threads
PTO switch went bad when you ran over that rock.

Thanks for the reply, davebell. Here is an update. I found the left side mandrel pulley was jammed against the belt keeper which is right next to the pulley, and the pulley would not turn. I think this caused the engine to stall when I tried to engage the blades. Then I found I could force a little space between the pulley and belt keeper, so the pulley would turn, not as freely as the right side mandrel pulley. So, I could get back to mowing but after about 30 minutes I checked the blade movements again and saw the left side mandrel pulley was still close enough to the belt keeper to wear 2 nice grooves in it.

My question now becomes what is the most likely component that got knocked out of alignment by the rock impact, the pulley, the belt minder, or maybe that long brake link bar that tightens the belt against the 2 mandrel pulleys when I engage the blades? How would you determine what exactly I messed up by mowing that rock?

thanks a lot.