Buying Advice Toro Z Master 74176 Rating

khaggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a lead on a Z Master Mod 74176 Commercial with 900 hours. How is 900 hours rated in terms of bad, fair, average, good, excellent for a commercial ZTR not considering any other condition assessments?

Thanks

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That mower uses very good pumps & motors ... but a little light on hydraulic oil... only a half gallon on board ... If it has not been worked hard all 900 hours it should be ok... was it well maintained ? if so should be ok... If I had it I would most likely try to triple it's hydro oil capacity and increase the cooling on the hydro system...
What off season price are you looking at?
:smile:KennyV

khaggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
The current price for that machine is $3400 plus shipping. My off season price is $2500 to $3300. I am looking for a machine to do light commercial work...something that will get me through one season without much maintenance. The following year I plan to purchase something new between $5 to $7. A good used semi-pro would be best and cost less over the two season period...one purchase.

I've been finding lots of equipment (old commercial stuff) with 1500 to 2200 hours for very low prices. Although sellers say their mowers are well maintained I wonder about reliability given the fact they have lots of hours. One seller is a full service dealer that took a commercial ZTR on a trade and did a full service. I guess it may be a good deal for less than $2500. I will take a look at it sometime next week. This one is a ExMark so I will have to ask those guys in that forum. In the meantime I continue to look hard for that good deal. I try never to buy new unless there is an absolute need.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
IF the engine has been serviced regularly and if the hydraulic system has not been over heated... that part may be OK..
The frame and deck most likely could stand a close look at...
That is not really what I would consider a 4 to 6 hr a day commercial machine (even when it was new)...
You should be able to gage the condition by giving it a good once over...

How hard are you going to be working it.?
That is a bit of a light wt mower for the main machine in a commercial mowing business... :smile:KennyV

khaggins

Forum Newbie
Threads
IF the engine has been serviced regularly and if the hydraulic system has not been over heated... that part may be OK..
The frame and deck most likely could stand a close look at...
That is not really what I would consider a 4 to 6 hr a day commercial machine (even when it was new)...
You should be able to gage the condition by giving it a good once over...

How hard are you going to be working it.?
That is a bit of a light wt mower for the main machine in a commercial mowing business... :smile:KennyV

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up. What I mean by light commercial 6 to 7 half acres lawns per day. Hopefully that is considered light....??? Sounds like it's not. I will be going by a dealer to see one today. Obviously I can't judge by the spec sheet. I'm finding out not only are factors such as deck gage, spindle casting/bearings, wheel width, speed and fuel tank capacity but now I'm finding out that there are many setups for the Hydrostatic Tranny...coolant reservoir capacity, dual vs single pump, etc... I'm slowly learning...

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow. 6 to 7 half acres lawns per day. Hopefully that is considered light....??? Sounds like it's not. ....
... factors such as deck gage, spindle casting/bearings, wheel width, speed and fuel tank capacity... ...many setups for the Hydrostatic Tranny...coolant reservoir capacity, dual vs single pump, etc... ....

With that type schedule it's a full time gig for the mower every day... Keep close track of your equipment hours, if not equipped with an hour meter, put a hobbs meter on it. It's too easy to overlook scheduled maintenance if you don't...

all the things you listed plus more are the things that separate a Good residential mower (under $7k), a Good commercial mower (under $20k) and an industrial mower (under $40k)...

Keep looking at the various makers and you will see the different ways things are put together to make them work 30 to 60 hours a week and stay together for thousands of hours... :smile:KennyV