Export thread

TORO TIMEMASTER.

A

alan c.

CUSTOMER BOUGHT UNIT 07-15-2014. HIS COMPLAINT IS AFTER ABOUT 20 MIN OF RUN TIME UNIT STALLS AND IS HARD TO START. THIS MOWER STARTS AND RUNS GREAT. IT DOES HAVE A INLINE FUEL FILTER. AFTER RUNNING UNIT A FEW TIMES THE ENGINE WILL STALL--ACTS LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OF FUEL. I AM WATCHING THE CLEAR FILTER START OUT FULL AND AS IT RUNS THE LEVEL GETS LOWER AND LOWER UNTIL THE FILTER APPEARS TO BE DRY AND THEN ENGINE STOPS. TO ME IT SEEMS THAT THE FUEL FLOW FROM TANK CAN'T KEEP UP WITH THE CARBURETOR BURNING IT. DOESNT SEEM TO MAKE SENSE TO ME THAT THE FILTER IS BAD. ORIGINALLY THESE UNITS DID NOT USE A FUEL FILTER. AS OF 2012 THEY ADDED ONE. HAVENT TRIED A STRAIGHT FUEL LINE YET(WITH OUT FILTER). ANY THOUGHTS FROM THE EXPERTS.

reynoldston

reynoldston

There is a lot of different types, styles, sizes, and brand fuel filters out on the market. Are you sure you got the right filter?

A

alan c.

There is a lot of different types, styles, sizes, and brain fuel filters out on the market. Are you sure you got the right filter?

FACTORY FILTER. THEY ARE ALREADY INSTALLED. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE FROM TANK TO FILTER. NOT FILTER TO CARB.

Ric

Ric

FACTORY FILTER. THEY ARE ALREADY INSTALLED

Just wondering what your so mad about?

A

alan c.

Just wondering what your so mad about?
Oh all caps--sorry--habit when im doing my repair reports on computer. its all good

reynoldston

reynoldston

FACTORY FILTER. THEY ARE ALREADY INSTALLED. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE FROM TANK TO FILTER. NOT FILTER TO CARB.

As I see it you answered your own question. Bad hose, tank fitting, dirt ??? Maybe blow some compressed air back through the hose.

JD is best

JD is best

JD is best

JD is best

CUSTOMER BOUGHT UNIT 07-15-2014. HIS COMPLAINT IS AFTER ABOUT 20 MIN OF RUN TIME UNIT STALLS AND IS HARD TO START. THIS MOWER STARTS AND RUNS GREAT. IT DOES HAVE A INLINE FUEL FILTER. AFTER RUNNING UNIT A FEW TIMES THE ENGINE WILL STALL--ACTS LIKE IT IS RUNNING OUT OF FUEL. I AM WATCHING THE CLEAR FILTER START OUT FULL AND AS IT RUNS THE LEVEL GETS LOWER AND LOWER UNTIL THE FILTER APPEARS TO BE DRY AND THEN ENGINE STOPS. TO ME IT SEEMS THAT THE FUEL FLOW FROM TANK CAN'T KEEP UP WITH THE CARBURETOR BURNING IT. DOESNT SEEM TO MAKE SENSE TO ME THAT THE FILTER IS BAD. ORIGINALLY THESE UNITS DID NOT USE A FUEL FILTER. AS OF 2012 THEY ADDED ONE. HAVENT TRIED A STRAIGHT FUEL LINE YET(WITH OUT FILTER). ANY THOUGHTS FROM THE EXPERTS.

Sorta what my mower is doing

reynoldston

reynoldston

I have to say I am just guessing here but. PO has a Toro Timemaster the fuel is gravity feed, you have a John Deere maybe a model 180 (picture). Your fuel tank in in the rear of the mower and is fuel pump feed. Of course check fuel filter first then check fuel pump operation on top of all the things the PO should check.

A

alan c.

Thanks everyone. I have tried every thing except running fuel line without the filter.

A

alan c.

Oh and this unit is a push twin blade mower that is gravity fed.--no pump.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

If yours is fitted with the Briggs 800 series engine then it could be the drilling from the fuel pipe connector at the tank.
Had 1 where the hole wasnt big enough and also one where plastic from the drilling had not been cleared and got into filter and some cases the carb itself.

Parkmower

Parkmower

Fuel tank cap vent working? Try running with cap off.

A

alan c.

Fuel tank cap vent working? Try running with cap off.
The thought did cross my mind, but then I dismissed it. I have that problem with Honda small engines sometimes. wasn't sure if that was possible with a Briggs. I'll take one off of a display unit and try that. thank you

A

alan c.

If yours is fitted with the Briggs 800 series engine then it could be the drilling from the fuel pipe connector at the tank.
Had 1 where the hole wasnt big enough and also one where plastic from the drilling had not been cleared and got into filter and some cases the carb itself.

Not sure about the series. 2014 Toro. Mod.#20199 190cc Briggs & Stratton.

M

mboss9

I second the fuel cap. I've seen that a few times...

exotion

exotion

Please post solution when solved. Fuel cap makes since also the screen in the tank could be clogged

A

alan c.

Just installed new fuel filter and new gas cap. filled tank. unit stalled after 40 mins. unit burned about 3/4 tank. only thing left is fuel tank. it just seems fuel supply cant keep up with engine burning it. fuel flow seems ok out of tank into a container. just checked filter 20 mins. after engine stalled. not much gas in it.

P

paulyjsob

Did you find a solution? Mine is doing something similar.
Runs great for a while, then RPM's start fluctuating and wants to stall (doesn't actually stall). If I disengage the blades, I cannot reengage them without engine dying.

P

paulyjsob

Here's what mine is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH-yc2zU6dc

This is after about 10 minutes of working properly.
Last week when I mowed, it worked fine for about 30 minutes and this started.

JD is best

JD is best

Here's what mine is doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH-yc2zU6dc This is after about 10 minutes of working properly. Last week when I mowed, it worked fine for about 30 minutes and this started.
from the sound of that you're spark is good. It's definitely fuel related probably activated when it gets to a certain temp.

B

bertsmobile1

Plugga told you what to d about 10 posts back.
Remove fuel tank then clean out the debris in the bottom and check the out let hole is full size and there are no obstructions

P

paulyjsob

Plugga told you what to d about 10 posts back.
Remove fuel tank then clean out the debris in the bottom and check the out let hole is full size and there are no obstructions

I will give this a shot. Don't think since its the problem since if I let it sit for a while, it'll work fine again....
Like the previous post says, I think it may be something heat related.

I will clean out the tank in case.

Thanks!

B

bertsmobile1

Problem is you are not thinking objectively.
Clear your mind.
Dirt ,cut grass and other cud ends up in the tank, you have obviously never pulled one out of a used mower befer and washed it.
As the tank leven drops the pressure drops just enough to slow down the fuel being forces through the plug filter at the bottom of the tank till it can no longer get through.
You open the cap & pour in more fuel which stirs up all of the crud in the bottom of the tank which distributes itself all over the bottom of the tank.
You now start the engine, vibrations Y viscosity drag all of the crud back toward the fuel outlet remaking the plug slowing down the engine.
Now if you have to have proof in 25' high neon light illuminated sighn, verified by popular science, passed by the senate before you will undertake the unbelievably omerios and highly technically complicated job of taking out the tank, tipping out the fuel. Puttong in some cleaner , shaking the tank, tipping it out & possibly repeating a couple of times.
Then pull off the fuel line and measure how long it taks to fill up a cup with fuel. Pour some more nice fresh wasted fuel into the tank, start the engine and date anothe 40 minutes watching it till it starts to choke.
Remove the fuel line again and measure the time taken to fill the same cup.
Take some atmospheric pressure readings measure the height of the fuel outlet the height of the fuel in a full tank and the height of the fule when the more stoops so you can correct the flow rate for differences in gravitational potential and don't foorget to check the temperature at the start then the temperature when the mower stops so you can also correct for viscosity changes due to temperature changes and if the starting rate is fast than the corrected failure rate then you can be absolutely sure that the problem is in the fuel tank and you will not be wasting 14 minutes of your precious time by removing and cleaning the tank.

P

paulyjsob

Thank you for all your help.
Brought the mower back to home depot since it was still under warranty. They couldn't replicate and sent me home with it 2 days later.
Mowed the lawn today and it started stalling after about 25 minutes. Took off the fuel cap and she roared back to life! So looks like a venting problem. Now have to find vent hose. Thanks!

exotion

exotion

Thank you for all your help.
Brought the mower back to home depot since it was still under warranty. They couldn't replicate and sent me home with it 2 days later.
Mowed the lawn today and it started stalling after about 25 minutes. Took off the fuel cap and she roared back to life! So looks like a venting problem. Now have to find vent hose. Thanks!

Vents through the cap?

P

paulyjsob

Vent through the cap was my thinking as well since I don't see any other hose.
I'll order a new cap today.
Thanks again!

L

loco-diablo

Vent through the cap was my thinking as well since I don't see any other hose.
I'll order a new cap today.
Thanks again!

Can't you just clean the cap? Vent hole(s) must be plugged with junk.