Export thread

Toro Timecutter Blade Removal

R

Rickochet

I have a Toro Timecutter SW3200 ZT single blade mower I am trying to change for the first time. I am having trouble getting the bolt loose. I do not have an impact wrench. So, far I have just tried using a wrench and no luck. Before I go to more extremes I want to make sure I am pulling the right direction. Is lefty loosey counter clockwise the proper loosening direction? Years ago I fought with lug nuts on an old Chrysler until I noticed the "L" stamped on the stud. :ashamed: I don't want to snap off the bolt in the mower. I will spray it good with some lube and use the old block of wood.

B

bertsmobile1

The mounting fasteners are all std right hand threads except for the rear discharge twin blade decks with counter rotating blades.

As such they self tighten in use .
I regularly have to cut off the heads on bolts & use the nut splitter on nuts.
After the head is off the bolts usually are just finger tight.
The threads do not rust solid, they just overtighten.

D

Darryl G

You can try sliding a piece of pipe over your wrench handle for more leverage.

Grab a big rag or towel & hold the blade end, so you don't cut your hand, & put a long bar on the bolt to break it loose.

You wanna turn CCW to loosen from underneath.

Before you re-install the blade, you can wipe the threads with a bit of anti-seize or at least some grease or even oil..

D

Darryl G

If the blade is that tight I doubt holding it by hand is going to work. Before I bought impact wrenches I used a block of wood between the blade and deck baffles along with a breaker bar.

If the blade is that tight I doubt holding it by hand is going to work. Before I bought impact wrenches I used a block of wood between the blade and deck baffles along with a breaker bar.

Block of wood is good too. If you eat your spinach tho, you shouldn't need one. LOL