Toro SS 5000 strange sound

Turbo4x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a new Toro SS 5000. It is a wonderful machine, but makes a strange sound, like a large watch mainspring suddenly rapidly unwinding, approximately 5 to 7 seconds after parking and shutting down. This is my first ZTR mower, so this may be normal. Any ideas? Thanks!

nick9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be the brake engaging? Mine makes a similar sound just after the drive handles are put into the park/brake position.
Edit: mine is a MX5060 but I figured they are very similar.

Turbo4x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could it be the brake engaging? Mine makes a similar sound just after the drive handles are put into the park/brake position.
Edit: mine is a MX5060 but I figured they are very similar.
Nick,
Thanks for the reply. Though I'm not that familiar with the mechanics of the independent hydro drives, my background is in mechanical systems, so this sounded like the most likely cause. Following the last outing with the mower, I raised the rear end of it and looked at both drives, discovering that one was not fully engaged with the teeth of the detent. I rocked the mower slightly until it engaged, and it did not make this sound the next time out. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again for your input.

Brucebotti

Threads
My Toro MX5060 makes the exact same sound. It is the solenoid for the electric brake. You can make it duplicate the sound by turning the ignition on (without starting) and moving the drive handles in and out.
Bruce

Turbo4x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Toro MX5060 makes the exact same sound. It is the solenoid for the electric brake. You can make it duplicate the sound by turning the ignition on (without starting) and moving the drive handles in and out.
Bruce

Bruce,
Thank you for your input. I'll give your suggestion a try. Pretty sure you're accurate on the cause. Nick9 presented the same possibility, and the theory sounds very valid. What a great source of expertise for newbies!

Brucebotti

Threads
Bruce,
Thank you for your input. I'll give your suggestion a try. Pretty sure you're accurate on the cause. Nick9 presented the same possibility, and the theory sounds very valid. What a great source of expertise for newbies!

Turbo4x4,
Check out this Toro YouTube video that I just found. It shows the operation of the brake controller. It also makes/shows the sound I think that you were talking about. Hope this helps.
Bruce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZRN-Jn4JE

Turbo4x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turbo4x4,
Check out this Toro YouTube video that I just found. It shows the operation of the brake controller. It also makes/shows the sound I think that you were talking about. Hope this helps.
Bruce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZRN-Jn4JE

Bruce,
This is exactly the sound I'm hearing. Thank you so much for solving my "mystery"! Just one of those noises that drives you crazy unless you can find the cause ?

Brucebotti

Threads
Bruce,
This is exactly the sound I'm hearing. Thank you so much for solving my "mystery"! Just one of those noises that drives you crazy unless you can find the cause 

Turbo4x4,
Glad I could help. Actually I want to thank you. While searching for the video I sent you, I came across this awesome Toro Shop Manual. I have been searching for something like this for a few years now. It was actually on a Home Depot site?! Its the best service manual that I have found. I guess we helped each other out....a true win-win situation:laughing:. Hope this helps!
Bruce

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/bb/bbc13e4e-3daf-4646-b084-477f00f0290c.pdf

PS I think I'll post a new manual thread so that more people will see the manual.

Turbo4x4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turbo4x4,
Glad I could help. Actually I want to thank you. While searching for the video I sent you, I came across this awesome Toro Shop Manual. I have been searching for something like this for a few years now. It was actually on a Home Depot site?! Its the best service manual that I have found. I guess we helped each other out....a true win-win situation:laughing:. Hope this helps!
Bruce

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/bb/bbc13e4e-3daf-4646-b084-477f00f0290c.pdf

PS I think I'll post a new manual thread so that more people will see the manual.
Good morning, Bruce.

I've been thinking about ordering one since I bought the new mower, but at this price, how can you go wrong? My thanks to you again. They'll be many happy owners taking advantage of your link.

Regards