Toro recycler 20211 carburetor source?

cadet60

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm working on a carb leak at float needle on this mower for a friend. It has a Suzuki 5hp ohv #vmk9-230716, w/ Mikuni carb. Picked up parts at local shop. Float needle, seat and metal sleeve in kit ($30+). How do I remove sleeve to replace needle seat, and install new sleeve? Or any source for a replacement carb? Thanks for any help. Mike

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Toro's service manual on this does not cover the replacement so hopefully some one here has done this before.

Now that carburetor is very expensive to replace as a complete unit but its PN is 81-5590 if you would like to look it up.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is the service manual for your engine. Personally I don’t know if I’ve ever replaced the seat on one of those carbs. Most times I’ve been able to solve carb problems by giving the carb a goos soaking and cleaning, then replace the float needle. The main jet will plug. https://www.toro.com/getpub/6923

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Here is the service manual for your engine. Personally I don’t know if I’ve ever replaced the seat on one of those carbs. Most times I’ve been able to solve carb problems by giving the carb a goos soaking and cleaning, then replace the float needle. The main jet will plug. https://www.toro.com/getpub/6923
I have never seen a Toro self-propelled mower with a Suzuki engine on it. Maybe it is a repower.

You can polish metal seat with a q-tip in a drill and some lapping compound and replace needle. Thoroughly clean carburetor and then if that doesn’t work, go for aftermarket one.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tiger the problem is the seat is rubber held in what appear to be a metal sleeve and solid needle valve. And no it is not a repower. Since I haven't done one these it is only a guess but the sleeve has to be extracted, rubber seat removed, new rubber seat installed, and the new sleeve pressed in place. Just no instructions in the service manual on how this is done.

full.png

81-4700

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tiger, it has not been repowered. Toro used Suzuki engines on their commercial and high end residential mowers from about 1998-1990. The combination of Suzuki and cast deck made them the mule of the Toro line. All you had to do was give them a sugar cube once in a while and they would out do everything else. Due to health issues I had to get rid of my 1989 3-speed unit and get a Personal Pace unit. Gave it to a young couple down the road and it is still going strong today, as I service it each spring.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Tiger, it has not been repowered. Toro used Suzuki engines on their commercial and high end residential mowers from about 1998-1990. The combination of Suzuki and cast deck made them the mule of the Toro line. All you had to do was give them a sugar cube once in a while and they would out do everything else. Due to health issues I had to get rid of my 1989 3-speed unit and get a Personal Pace unit. Gave it to a young couple down the road and it is still going strong today, as I service it each spring.
Thanks to Rivets and Star Tech for the information. I am familiar with metal needle and rubber seat. Don’t know why you would have to remove and replace metal seat when you normally remove and replace rubber seat by picking it out, like in a Tecumseh.

upupandaway

Threads
Yeah, I don't know if Suzuki stopped making motors or it was Toro's choice to switch their commercials with Suzuki to commercials with Hondas.

Tiger, here is one of them: