Buying Advice Toro Proline walkbehind mower

Threads
New member from The Netherlands saying "hi" :wink:

Well, been lurking for quite some time, but now walking around with a Toro Proline in my mind :thumbsup:

I've got a Toro HMR-1600, which is awesome...when it's working properly. Already put quite some hours in it, but always keep having setbacks. Biggest problem is that spare or ridicoulus expensive, although...but I have to say it's incredible most is still available. Biggest issues now are: The drive spindle in the mowing deck is worned out, a new one (if it's the right one...) cost around 180 euro (+/- 200 USD). They are cheaper on ebay in USA, but then I have mayor import costs... Other issue is that I need to rebuild the Walbro carb, but that is around 95 USD.

To have a nice backup, I'm actually looking to a walk behind mower.

I now have run into a Toro Proline, 52 cm (or 53 cm?) mowing deck. It has been more or less already been restored a little bit, although not the original Toro red. I've had a look at it today, and it looks good. But I was wondering is someone here has any experience with it? Is it a good mower? Price asked is 136 USD.

More details:
Toro Proline
Engine : Suzuki GTS 150
Type: 22154

$_85 (1).JPG$_85 (2).JPG$_85 (3).JPG$_85 (4).JPG$_85 (5).JPG

jp1961

Threads
Hello back to the Netherlands,

I have the Toro Proline, but mine has the Suzuki 2 cycle engine.

I can't speak for the Suzuki 4 cycle engine, but their 2 cycle engines are know for the ignition module to go bad. If it does go bad, it's an expensive fix (200.00 for the ignition module and another 200.00 for the flywheel). The carberator float needle is expensive too at 27.24,,,,ouch!

I'd say overall the Toro with Suzuki engines (either 2 or 4 cycle) are very good mowers, but parts (if available) are kind of pricey.

You did a nice job restoring your mower.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Threads
Hi jp1961.

I will pick up the mower this Monday. I like it way too much to let it go for that price, which I think is very reasonable. However, it was the seller that did a little touch-up painting. Unfortunately it's not "Toro red".

I have had a look into the engine, and I seriously start to doubt if it's a Suzuki. It also could be a B&S 97772 engine. This B&S is the engine that is mentioned on the Toro Partsviewer website, although following some leads through Google not 100% make it clear. What is also not helpful is that Toro did use the 'GTS' term also for "Guaranteed To Start" technique, over the Suzuki GTS engines.

The mower in your attachment, it's looks brand new. Until I found mine, I never knew Toro had 2-stroke Suzuki's, but it sounds awesome. Must be a real fighter that one!

regards