Toro not starting

baldharley

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the forum so go easy on me. Have self propelled Toro 6.5 hp recycler with the Tecumseh engine :frown:. Have very little resistance when pulling starter rope, not much compression. New plug, solenoid, oil, new fuel and getting to carb without a problem. Is this something minor and worth fixing? The mower is about 3 years old and still in like new condition as it is only used in small hard to get to locations. Would an engine replacement maybe be the best bet with a B&S? Help I think I have lost one of the dogs in the tall grass now:laughing:

baldharley

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you are saying the engine has no compression? It might well be very repairable which would in my eyes be a lot easier and cheaper to do then replacing the engine.

baldharley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not much resistance when pulling the cord and is getting plenty of spark. What are possible issues and repair requirements not a real hand with tearing into an engine but my repair guy said it would probably not be worth the trouble!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
New to the forum so go easy on me. Have self propelled Toro 6.5 hp recycler with the Tecumseh engine :frown:. Have very little resistance when pulling starter rope, not much compression. New plug, solenoid, oil, new fuel and getting to carb without a problem. Is this something minor and worth fixing? The mower is about 3 years old and still in like new condition as it is only used in small hard to get to locations. Would an engine replacement maybe be the best bet with a B&S? Help I think I have lost one of the dogs in the tall grass now:laughing:

baldharley

Just because it pulls easy does not mean bad compression.

The cam could have ACR lobe.

How do you know fuel is getting past carb into the engine?

Have you tried starting fluid?
Do you know it is sparking?

Does it try and start? or nothing...

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not much resistance when pulling the cord and is getting plenty of spark. What are possible issues and repair requirements not a real hand with tearing into an engine but my repair guy said it would probably not be worth the trouble!

Don't know your repair guy, just what test did he do to say that? ( compression test and leak down test) or dose he have a new engine he want to sell you. Who is going to do the work, you or the repair guy? Maybe all it needs is a valve adjustment? Spark has nothing to do with compression. I will ask how was the spark tested? It looks like your mine is already made up so why ask just install the new engine.