Toro mower light help

Isaac22

Threads
Hello I have an mx5060 toro lawn mower. And I have wanted to put lights on it for a while so I can mow at night. But my problem is I don't know which lights drain the amount of power that the charging circuit can keep up with so they don't drain my battary down. I want LEDs ether one bright one in the middle or two on each side that equal the brightness of one big one I also want them to be decently priced not cheap but not super expensive and I have wireing skils so that won't be a problem my battary is about a year onld and it has a 23 hp Kalasaki engine on it I would apresheate any help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

You have to know what you have before you know how much you can take.
So we need to know the engine specs including the alternator output the latter which determines how much you can take before you start to run down the battery.
Mowing at night with nothing but the lights on your mower is not easy to do as you can never see properly.
I slash & plow at night so know just how difficult it is working after dark.

As for power consumption, in order of high to low. Tungsten , halogens, high pressure halogen , Flouro , led.

Leds are the lowest consumption by a long way and the most expensive by a long way.
The light bars will provide the best light to work with but they will need to be mounted on a pole as you can not get them high enough if mounted on the bonnet.

Isaac22

Threads
How do I test the altenator output and other things your talking about I have a multimeter and acsess to the mower at any time If you tell me how to becuse I'm not sure I will go out and test it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you can run the battery dead flt, start the mower with jumper leads, engage the PTO to put the highest load on the electrical system then measure the output from the alternator + wire with an ampmeter .
Or you could post the full engine numbers and hope some one is good enough to check the exact specs of your engine.

Pumper54

Threads
Isaac22,

Bert is giving the information you need to figure out what your engine can handle. If you can identify the engine model and type so someone can see if the out put specs for the charging system is available. You might be able to use something like this https://www.amazon.com/TMS-LED-XT-1...3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470259832&sr=1-13

Or if you want go to youtube and search for mower lights and see what people are putting on theirs.
Tom