Toro/Kohler won't run/stay running

7383ski

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro Recycler (675 Kohler engine) mower that will start sometimes, run anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes then dies. I realize it's more than likely a fuel issue. I have emptied & cleaned the fuel tank & fuel line filter, replaced the fuel line and used fresh gas. I have totally disassembled & cleaned the carburetor several times as well as installed a brand new carb in case I put something together wrong. I've checked the choke operation, linkage,air filter housing, replaced the air filter & spark plug as well just for the heck of it.Sometimes when I restart it, it will barely run at 300-400 rpm and sputter & backfire like it's running out of gas.But when I pull the fuel bowl it's full of fuel. I've tried adjusting the idle screw. Sometimes I have to push on the governor linkage to get it to start but eventually it will die out.
I'm almost embarrassed to say I have about 45 years mechanical experience on cars, motorcycles, general aviation airplanes & multi-million dollar jet aircraft, as well as numerous small gas engines, but this mower is kicking my butt. HELP???
P.S.I've put both of the old & new carburetors on an identical mower & it does the same exact thing on both mowers.

Last edited:

keakar

Threads
check the fuel shutoff solenoid is bad or not getting power, that sounds like whats going on when it runs for a few seconds then dies

upupandaway

Threads
Keakar - of the ones I've seen, they don't have the fuel shut-off like hondas.

7383ski - did u clean out the screw from the bottom of the float bowl? I can't say what the problem was, but i went through 3x to finally getting it to purr.

Clean out the small holes in the float bowl screw with a file(tip cleaner- https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200659228_200659228)?