Toro 22" Recycler Model 20371

relli1130

Threads
Ok, so I purchased a nearly-new Toro 20371 used off Craigslist in December of 2013. Started on 3rd pull. Like an idiot, I left the gas in the tank - never winterized the machine. Now I'm paying the price. This mower looks practically brand new. Here is what I can tell you:

1. the mower won't start
2. I've got a spark when I pull the chord
3. If I remove the spark plug, and drop a few teaspoons of gas in the chamber, the machine will start, then die once that gas burns off.
4. The fuel line from the tank to the carb is clear.
5. I removed the carb bowl, and there was a small amount of varnish - which I cleaned up.
6. I cleared all bad gas from the machine, added fresh gas - it still wont start.

I have not tried to replace the spark plug. One youtube video I saw on this same machine with similar issues showed that a simple spark plug replacement is all it took.

I would clean the carb but can't figure out how to remove it. Also, I should mention that I've noticed the cables must have been pinched during my move to a new home. Not sure if that is an issue or not.

Anyway, I'm looking for some insight. Did I provide enough information? I would remove the carb and clean it or replace it. But I cant find the instructions on how to do that anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

relli1130

Threads
Well, I figured it out.

For anyone who might be having similar issues, here is what I did:

1. got a new spark plug
2. removed the carburetor (this is accomplished by removing the air filter, and unscrewing the two star-screws/bolts on top of the carb). carefully release the hinge arm and spring release arm (sorry, don't know the technical terms)
3. spray carb cleaner in all jets
4. reassemble the carburetor
5. spray starter fluid directly into the carburetor
6. pull the chord!

the machine started for me on the first pull. I'm positive I had a slightly plugged carb jet. replacing the spark plug didn't hurt

Mike88se

Threads
Well, I figured it out.

For anyone who might be having similar issues, here is what I did:

1. got a new spark plug
2. removed the carburetor (this is accomplished by removing the air filter, and unscrewing the two star-screws/bolts on top of the carb). carefully release the hinge arm and spring release arm (sorry, don't know the technical terms)
3. spray carb cleaner in all jets
4. reassemble the carburetor
5. spray starter fluid directly into the carburetor
6. pull the chord!

the machine started for me on the first pull. I'm positive I had a slightly plugged carb jet. replacing the spark plug didn't hurt
Glad you got it worked out. I didn't see this thread but I wouldn't have been much help anyway maybe. I've never worked on a Kohler engine but I fixed several Tecumsehs and a Briggs or two.
The Tecumseh is almost always the main jet and/or gummy/dirty carb in general.
With the symptoms you described I and just about everyone here would have said clean the carb and it will start right up.

CherylR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having this problem, too, but after cleaning the carb really well (three times now), it still does the same thing. The spark plug is good. It will start when I spray starter in the carb then stops right away.