Toro 20371 22" Recycler Mower Starts, runs for 2 seconds, dies

CherylR

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 20371 22" Recycler Mower Starts, runs for 2 seconds, dies
Mower Info: Toro 20371
Engine: Kohler

I purchased this mower from a friend who left it sitting with bad gas in it for about a year. I cleaned out the old gas, blew out the gas times and cleaned the card. When I spray starter fluid in the carb it will start for two seconds and stop. I removed the carb and cleaned it better. I have watched every video available on youtube and most say to clean the pinholes in the screw at the bottom of the carb very well. On this model there are two screws on the bottom of the bowl, neither one has a pinhole through it. I am also not able to remove the jets because there are black plastic pieces holding them in that seem forged to the metal. Is this to make sure we return to a dealer for service or am I just missing something? The operator's manual online doesn't give me much detail and the videos show this solving the problem so no one mentions what else could be wrong. The spark plug looks new and the fact that it will start means if's not the problem, right?

What am I missing here??? Is there a way to remove the jets and clean them better?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Easier to just replace carb :/ think of the time you've wasted.

Check spark first before you buy the carb just in case

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the plastic idle speed screw and pry up the plastic jet under it. Clean this jet and reinstall. If this does not do it, or you do not have this jet, replace the carb.

CherylR

Forum Newbie
Threads
I broke down and took the mower to a repair facility. I walked in with only the filter in my hand and the guy said "Toro mower with kohler engine. You need a new carb. $39.95." Evidentially this is a common problem with the Kohler engine. So, now I know how to rebuild a carburetor and that it is almost impossible to clean them thoroughly.