Repairs Toro 20071 Walk Behind, transmission replaced but still have issue.

cyclism

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro 20071 Walk Behind, transmission replaced but still have issue.
Hello all- Model 20071
I replaced the transmission which seems to be a common issue with these Toro walk behind mowers. I also replaced the drive belt. After completing the assembly today, still have an issue where the left wheel does not engage correctly, but the right wheel does. It feels like there isn't really any firm engagement once over the grass. I know all of the parts are back in place, any thoughts?

cyclism

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not really wanting to bring this to a Toro repair shop, I'm willing to give anything a shot.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll bet you have the drive gear on backwards. Flip it over and it should solve your problem. There is a small R on one sile and L on the other. The L should be facing out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, that is the gear I am talking about.

cyclism

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that is the gear I am talking about.

Thank you. I didn't look to see that those were marked. That fixed that issue. Kind of still a small issue, the traction cable was replaced as well, is there anyway to tighten the slack out of it? I have almost all the way down in the plastic holder part.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check to see that the belt is in the pulley on the crankshaft. If it is check the part number 105-1845. Sometimes they do go all the way to the plastic clamp.

Blaine B.

Threads
I wish I replaced the transmission on mine. I bought the pinion and ring gear for it, and replaced both. But the bearing for the pinion gear was still sloppy.

It lasted more than two years, but every now and again it will slip, especially when I bag. But I rarely bag.

It turns out an entire new transmission assembly was only about $20 more than the two gears that I bought.

Oh well, I have a back-up Toro to use if and when the gear drive strips out again.

And yes, you have to make sure those little drive gears on the tips of the axle are installed the same way, and in the correct fashion.

I had to disassemble a few times until I got them both installed properly to engage the wheels in the correct fashion.

Threads
The gears should be makes L-left and R-right(facing outside) for the traction cable there are 2 different hook ups to the transmission make sure you hook up to the right one.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bet it fixed his problem seeing he never followed through