Toro 20042 Super Recycler Rear Axle Assembly

OldToroGuy

Threads
I have a 20042 Super Recycler that I have owned since new 2003. The rear wheels haven't been disengaging when you pull back on it so I have pulled it apart, cleaned all of the little pieces up and putting it back together. I'm confused about which way the "washer, thrust, keyed" (as it is described in the parts breakdown) goes on the axle. It seems to fit on either way. Is the picture I have enclosed have the washer installed correctly? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7287.jpg
    IMG_7287.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 9

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Short answer, you have it installed correctly.

OldToroGuy

Threads
Thanks Rivets. Should I put a light coat of grease on these wheel parts as well?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No I don’t like to, will only attract dirt.

OldToroGuy

Threads
Many thanks to getting the rear axle back together correctly.....at least I think I did! It seemed to be better after assembly.

This blurb may be better in another post but while I was working on the old mower my wife started talking about getting a new mower! I like Honda products and really thought that was what we would get but found out my wife doesn't like the little paddle thingy you push on to move the Honda mower. She has used another one like it and didn't care for it so.......we looked at Toros with an Electric Start. It turned out Toro had a sale that went off Tuesday or Wednesday but we found a 20384, I believe it was a 2019 model, red color, the 2020s are black in color. So my old 20042 was about $483 in 2003, bag was extra back then but that price included the bag. The 20384 was something like $699 retail, then further marked down at the dealer and then with their sale $120 off it came out to about $530. So hopefully the new Toro will last 17 years like the old one! By then I'll be in a nursing home probably. When you put the new mower against the old one they were so similar they didn't look like there was 17 years between models.

deminin

Threads
My old Toro 20066 (bought in 2008) rear wheels locked up this past April...during the start of the grass growing season. With little time to fool with it, I went to Lowe's and bought a Honda...with the "paddle" on the handle. It took a bit of playing with the paddle before I got used to it, then I was able to mow easily. A few days ago, I got a new transmission and belt for the old Toro....found a good deal on EBAY....and spent 3 or 4 hours rebuilding it. It was a bit of a PITA taking everything apart and putting it all back together correctly, but I was able to do so....the transmission was totally shot. Now, I have 2 good hand mowers, a nice Husqvarna rider, and my Kubota tractor/brush hog, so I can easily maintain my big 1 acre yard, and the walking trails through our heavy forest. I like the idea of having a "spare" hand mower, because we have dozens of trees in the yard to mow around.