TIRES? 1) grippy yet turf-friendly mowing? 2) best traction for winter snowthrowing?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / TIRES? 1) grippy yet turf-friendly mowing? 2) best traction for winter snowthrowing?
OK. So... I've had these Duro X-Country tires for a couple of months now. You can see both them AND the new flat-free deck tires I installed the same day. (Notice the cheap "come-along" winch & tie-down strap combo that I use to lift my non-powered deck for ease of cleaning & blade changing.)
come-along deck winch1.jpg
Here's the scoop... They were manufactured in Taiwan so they were machine-flattened to maximize loading in a shipping container. The shop that mounted them had to install tubes (stuffed in by hand) and inflate them to get the tires to return to shape. A pain, but not a showstopper - unless your shop won't work with you. The good news is that these tires have awesome traction. Sidehill mowing is slide-free, instilling mucho confidence. They require a learning curve when turning to prevent peeling up the sod, much the same as chevron/bar tread tires do, so getting these to eliminate that particular problem with my chevrons was a no-win. I aired them down to about 4psi and they ride pretty nice. I was in some pretty muddy conditions in the earlier part of the summer chopping down the walking trails in my little patch of woods and I'm happy to report that the tread pattern, in addition to having excellent bite, features lugs spaced far enough apart to clean themselves fairly quickly & easily. They are designed for ATVs so the profile is round instead of flat, like traditional turf tires. They're also not as wide as my Carlisle chevrons, despite being advertised as such. Bummer. The price was really good though ($64 shipped) but then I had to pay $15/ea. for inner tubes in order to get the tires to mount properly due to the flat condition they came shipped in, so again, that was a wash.

Bottom line... they're decent tires, especially for the price, but for what I wanted and was expecting they were sort of a let down. But again, they weren't designed for lawn tractor use. I took a chance on 'em and they weren't what I hoped. Lesson learned. They are better than my old chevrons, but not by much. However, when the time comes I will be replacing them with a pair of the same Carlisle All-Trails that I currently have on my Deere GT235. Those are wider, hopefully not as destructive with a ZTR mower, and have a flatter profile as they are more lawn tractor-friendly. In fact they were used, I believe, as stock tires on John Deere's big X-Series 4WD garden tractors.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / TIRES? 1) grippy yet turf-friendly mowing? 2) best traction for winter snowthrowing?
1 year update...

Slightly less than a year on the mower and one of the tires suffered a major failure a couple of evenings ago, right along one of the tread blocks. A gape about 2" long that is beyond repair. I'll just chalk up the Duro tires as an unsuccessful experiment. Lesson learned! :thumbdown: Anyhow, I placed an order for a fresh pair of Carlisle 4-ply 20x10x8 All-Terrain tires the same day the left Duro took a dirt nap. Once the All-Trails are installed I'll post pics and my thoughts regarding ride comfort, sidehill traction, yard damage during turns, etc. Hopefully the Carlisles will be a better investment.

A fair warning to those considering them... Duro X-Country tires were definitely a waste of cash for this Grasshopper owner.:mad:

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
OK. So, I ordered a pair of the Carlisle All-Terrains from a place called TREAD DEPOT, after doing a hasty Google search for the best prices. First, these guys have DEFINITELY impressed me. I placed the order on the 4th and had the tires sitting on my front porch ONE DAY LATER!!! Talk about fast service! Got home in time to get the junk pair swapped out with the new skins at the local tire shop.

First impressions:

1) These Carlisle tires are the proper "profile" meaning they are flat, like a car tire, rather than curved like a motorcycle (like the Duro tires).

2) The Carlisle's offer excellent grip, 90% as much as the Duro tires. Only slightly and I mean slightly less traction in muddy conditions than the Duros.)

3) I can maneuver (sharp turns & zero turns) much more readily now, without tearing up the sod & grass. That's a BIG plus since I can mow faster and not have to putt-putt through turns so as not to rip up my lawn.

All-in-all these seem to be a much better set of tires. I've only mowed with them once so far on the Grasshopper but I also have these on my JD GT235 and they never let me down. I have a feeling that the Carlisle All-Terrains are what I should have just went with the first time around. I adjusted the air pressure from 22psi when I got 'em home down to 15psi. After one mowing, I dropped down to 12psi. I will see what difference, if any, that makes. So far very VERY happy with these.:thumbsup: