Timemaster? Turfmaster? ExMark? I'm looking for a 30" mower

tjk6277

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Timemaster? Turfmaster? ExMark? I'm looking for a 30" mower
Would like to replace a 20" Honda HRX used for my residence. I'm in northern OH and I mow 10-12000 sq ft a couple times a week during the growing season.
A 30" mower would be great. Been trying to research the Toro 30" mowers. Heard the Brigg's motors used on the Timemasters won't last. The Kawasaki's are underpowered on the Turfmasters. The transmissions go bad.
My little Honda sometimes leaves ruts in the backyard as it's got poor drainage. Would the heavy Toro be even worse??
Looking for some solid advice from the experts.
Don't really want to spend $2500 for a new Kohler powered HDX. Looking at a two year old Turfmaster with a Kawasaki for $1100, that was used commercially. Seller says it was only used when he was there and maintained well.
Planning on looking at it tomorrow. Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• 93644601_10214081835074954_8062430230578462720_o.jpg
    93644601_10214081835074954_8062430230578462720_o.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 5

cruzenmike

Threads
Mower looks clean for being two years old. Price seems to be in line with what we see up here in Michigan for a used one but typically the ones that I see are in worse condition.

The HDX with the Kohler may have solved all of the problems with the Turfmaster and will likely outlast any Timemaster. For residential mowing I get how the thought of spending that much can be hard to swallow, especially when you are in ride on territory with a bagger.

The Timemaster when properly maintained and used in the right conditions can last. But you still have a small gas tank which has been frustrating for many. You also have Personal Pace which coming from a more "active" type of drive system in the HRX may be a tough adjustment. And at the end of the day, all of these Toro/Exmark 30" mowers have more maintenance needs and more parts that can and will fail.

I am certainly not trying to talk you out of this mower, I am just trying to prepare you for the reality that even a commercial-grade walk behind mower such as this one is not perfect and not bulletproof.

With that being said, if the price is right, you feel that it can help improve the efficiency of your mowing and the equipment checks out mechanically, then go for it. At the very least if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it for what you paid. Hopefully someone who owns one personally can chime in here to let you know what to look for when examining the mower prior to purchase to know what to look for. You simply don't want to get taken on the purchase of equipment that is being sold as is with no warranty. Good luck.

Mike

tjk6277

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up buying a one year old Toro Timemaster. I’ve used it a couple times and after about 15 minutes of mowing, it starts to act like it’s running out of gas. Running rough and wants to stall. Today it did the same thing. I Shut it down, topped the tank (wasn’t very low) and continued to finish the mowing without any other issues. Any thoughts?

cruzenmike

Threads
I ended up buying a one year old Toro Timemaster. I’ve used it a couple times and after about 15 minutes of mowing, it starts to act like it’s running out of gas. Running rough and wants to stall. Today it did the same thing. I Shut it down, topped the tank (wasn’t very low) and continued to finish the mowing without any other issues. Any thoughts?

Did you by chance ask why the person was selling it? Did you test it out before you purchased it?

If it is only a year old it should still be under warranty. I am not sure if the warranty automatically transfers but you might want to ask the seller for the bill of sale from when they got it in case you need it for service work.

Do a search through the forums for a thread relates to a Briggs cutting out on hills. I do not recall the fix but this could be a similar issue?

I feel as if issues like this and the many other complaints with the Briggs in the Timemaster really tarnish it's reputation. My supervisor has one and loves it. Although it is only one season old, it may be too soon to speak for it's reliability. I am starting to suspect that outside of the clear differences between the timemaster and the turfmaster, the turfmaster is simply a much better machine, both in quality and durability. It's a shame that both machines have absurd price tags!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am starting to suspect that outside of the clear differences between the timemaster and the turfmaster, the turfmaster is simply a much better machine, both in quality and durability. It's a shame that both machines have absurd price tags!
Actually you have this back to front.
They have a realistic price for a quality mower that will last for a very long time
What is absurd is the $ 2000 ride on that is a absolute trash products that will be lucky to outlast the warranty.
Once again I remind you that my fathers first petrol powered mower cost him 6 months wages and we paid it off over 4 years
This was a lot of money but it was also a fair & reasonable price as 60 years latter it is till running strong and is currently used to mow the common areas of 3 blocks of apartments .
The only major replacement item has been the Amal carburettor and that was simply because Amal went bust & the new owners are no longer supporting them.
Still on it's original bore ( 2 stroke ) but in dire need of a new muffler which have been NLA since Briggs took over Victa and stopped making them.

tjk6277

Forum Newbie
Threads
it was sold when seller bought a bigger house and needed a riding mower. It was originally purchased at Home Depot and I was given the receipt.
Yes, I tried it out when I looked at it. Started easy, sounded fine, blades engaged, Personal Pace worked fine. It was clean, oil was full.
I replaced the fuel filter with a Toro part after I got the mower home. I’d like to have a fuel shut-off valve installed but the line from the tank to the carb is very short. I had one on my Honda and always fan the carb empty, no fuel related issues ever.
I believe the mower has a 3year warranty, but I’m not confident a shop would be able to duplicate the issue and fix the problem. I’ll mow a few more times and see if this continues. Thanks

gotomow

Threads
shut off valve
If the gas was not drained in fall most likely dirty carb is the running problem. Drop bowl and have a good clean out and enjoy. If you continue to have issue take your cell phone out and when trouble occurs record it on your phone. If you have to take it in for service show the issue to service dept.