Repairs Timecutter Z420 2006 - Axle / Hydro

mxb401

Forum Newbie
Threads
i really needed to buy a new mower, but since i lost my job about 8 months back i just cant see spending top dollar. so i bought the mower from a guy used, and it i brought it home the back left wheel fell off. (yeah really excited)
the axle is all chewed up and the guy is long gone, i tried to tap the axle and get a longer bolt but it didn't hold. the hub and the axle just aren't getting a tight connection.
...so it looks like im stuck (see picture).

IMG_0206.jpg

i could really use some help...

anyone have this part laying around that i could buy??
is there anyway i can repair just the axle?? i saw online that they sell the hydro assembly for about $800 at this website:
OEM Parts

but for 800 does that include the entire LH assembly or just the axle and i gotta rebuild the whole darn thing??
any help you guys/gals can give i would appreciate it

Last edited:

A_tank96

Threads
If you give me your model number, I will check for you. I can get one for mine, So I'm pretty sure that you can get an axle seperately.
:thumbsup:

wrorie

Forum Newbie
Threads
same thing happen to me but mine was under warranty .but i fixed it mysef and took the money i got from warranty and bought another one. its easy to fix .you would have to replace the axle inside the transmision sounds hard but is not. i have never fixed anything before but i fixed this .they have a conversion kit for about $ 100.00

franco1800a

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wrorie-
You said you replaced the axle on your mower. How did you do this? I have found several online for about $100 or so, but I am a little nervous about replacing it. I don't want to drop the whole driveshaft and then screw something up...resulting in a MUCH higher repair bill!!!!! Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wrorie-
You said you replaced the axle on your mower. How did you do this? I have found several online for about $100 or so, but I am a little nervous about replacing it. I don't want to drop the whole driveshaft and then screw something up...resulting in a MUCH higher repair bill!!!!! Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I vote if your afraid of doing it pay someone to do it. Dealers know what they are doing they do it well

IRON

Threads
same thing happen to me but mine was under warranty .but i fixed it mysef and took the money i got from warranty and bought another one. its easy to fix .you would have to replace the axle inside the transmision sounds hard but is not. i have never fixed anything before but i fixed this .they have a conversion kit for about $ 100.00

Hi ...just read your post on replacing the axle on your Z420,have broken one on mine
got the parts .can you give me any tips on installing it. also what oil did you use
to top it up ...any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is very common for these axles to break.
The kit is $100 on eBay.
Remove the drive from the mower.
Remove pulley then the brake arm.
Remove top cover. Take pics of everything.
Lift the axle and gear out. Pop the new one in. Fill with 20-50 oil.

IRON

Threads
It is very common for these axles to break.
The kit is $100 on eBay.
Remove the drive from the mower.
Remove pulley then the brake arm.
Remove top cover. Take pics of everything.
Lift the axle and gear out. Pop the new one in. Fill with 20-50 oil.

Thanks for the reply buddy....have got the parts and it went together
ok.
Should have got you to get the parts for me and ship them over to me.LOL
They cost $450 here in Australia

Thanks again

IRON

Threads
i really needed to buy a new mower, but since i lost my job about 8 months back i just cant see spending top dollar. so i bought the mower from a guy used, and it i brought it home the back left wheel fell off. (yeah really excited)
the axle is all chewed up and the guy is long gone, i tried to tap the axle and get a longer bolt but it didn't hold. the hub and the axle just aren't getting a tight connection.
...so it looks like im stuck (see picture).

IMG_0206.jpg

i could really use some help...

anyone have this part laying around that i could buy??
is there anyway i can repair just the axle?? i saw online that they sell the hydro assembly for about $800 at this website:
OEM Parts

but for 800 does that include the entire LH assembly or just the axle and i gotta rebuild the whole darn thing??
any help you guys/gals can give i would appreciate it

Hey buddy ,,,just joined this forum and saw your message.
Probably too late now but just had the same problem [wheel fell off]
Toro made a conversion kit for the z420 with a bigger axle 3/4 inch to 1 inch
Pretty easy to fit ,,,,the cost here in Australia was $360

Take care