Timecutter won't start, rapid clicking sound

GregBord

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a zero turn that is no longer starting. When I turn the key I get a rapid clicking sound, almost like a gear grinding. Nothing else happens. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Weak battery, or loose battery connection. When the solenoid engages, the voltage going to the starter causes the voltage to drop below a level that keeps the solenoid engaged, and the cycle repeats causing a clicking noise.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
dead battery probably

packardv8

Threads
Agree with the above, but don't trust any part of the wiring on any mower. I fought electrical problems on Cub Cadets for years and now the same problems with the Toro. Recently, a no-start problem was the ground cable end. It was tight on the battery and looked OK externally. There was corrosion between the wire and the clamp area. I cut it off and replaced it with a heavier terminal.

Just yesterday, first time starting this year, battery fully charged, the solenoid clicked, starter only turned slowly. Jumping from fully charged truck battery, no change. Started cleaning terminals at the battery. There is a junction block adjacent to the battery. The postitive cable from the battery goes to a threaded post with a 9/16" nut on one side, along with a smaller threaded post with the blue wire with a ring terminal to the solenoid under a two blue wire push-on female terminal. There is no pressure holding the ring terminal. Adding a nut tightening down on that ring terminal fixed today's problem.

The final solution is to remove all the OEM wiring and switches and replace it with an industrial quality start switch and an off/on for the PTO. Been there, had to do that with my last two mowers.

jack vines

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I hope you coated the new terminal & bolt with a nice thick coat of liquid electrical tape .
Not only will this prevent future corrosion but it also stops the nut / bolt vibrating loose .
What is also important is sealing the end of the wire so water can not wick back under the insulation & corrode the battery wires