Tiller axle shims

Piddler

Threads
I am new so be gentle.

I have a 70's model Horse tiller and the axle moves about 1/2 an or more inch side to side. I am going to order shims to correct this but I thought that this was a bit much movement to fix with the size of the shims in the parts book. Do I have another problem that should be addressed before I start shimming?

I plan to replace the seals, bushings and retaining rings while I am there.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am thinking that one of the retainer rings has come loose or has broken. It has been my experience that after replacing the axle bushing, and reinstalling the shims, it is all you can do to get the retainer rings to seat back into the groove in the axle.

Piddler

Threads
The retainer rings are in place. That is the only thing stopping the side to side motion.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely what is stopping the side to side motion is the moon key in the shaft hitting the bronze axle bushing.

Piddler

Threads
I measured the end play with a dial indicator and the actual end play is .28. This looks a little more reasonable. I am going to order enough shims to try to get the proper end play of .015. I would assume that there should be the same amount of shims on each side?

Thanks much for your help.