Tiger Cub no start

Mjmn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tiger cub STC48A-19KA . No start. Battery good. Individual interlocks ohm good. Starting at key switch, withrelay unplugged , have 12.6vdc. When I move to ON or START volts drop to zero. An interlock issue? Nobody seems to have the diagram for the interlock module.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get some jumpers .
1) Hook one the the battery - then to a good ground near the starter & try again
Engine cranks normally = bad ground
2) if 1 fails to crank the engine then hook the other one to the starter + then touch it to the battery +
Engine cranks normally = bad solenoid or battery leads
No joy then repeat 1 & 2 using your car/ truck
Let us know how it goes

Usually it is a problem with the interlock module which I bypass rather than replacing as they are way too expensive.
A case of a $ 5 cost part flogged off for $ 500 because you have no choice .

estebank

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been chasing a phantom starting issue on my 2002 TigerCub STC-48 for several years now. It comes and goes and I think I have solved the problem and then it happens again. Always the same symptoms, Low voltage at the starter solenoid when the key is turned to start. With the wire off of the solenoid there is 12.5 Vdc at the solenoid until the key is engaged and then it drops to 9-10 Vdc Lawnmower sits with nothing being done and for no reason that I can discern, it will start working again. It has gotten so that I now have spare switches,(3) relays(2) and starters(2). I would be interested in how to bypass the interlock module,as a 20 year old electronic module could definitely be getting flaky. It looks as if some of the outputs are to supply voltage and some to supply a ground. I would really like to be able to eliminate this module as a potential source of phantom problems.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no way to bypass the module without doing a complete new loom that will keep all of the safety switches functioning .
There is quite rightly a convention here that we do not tell people how to bypass safety switches regardless of weather we agree with them being there or not .
Scag do publish their wiring diagrams at the end of their parts manuals
To do the job you will need a Packard 56 terminal tool to remove the terminals from the plugs.
It is a big job so best left till the off season
Wire it up according to the Liberty wiring diagram as Liberty's do not have a module
Some of the earlier Tigers did not have modules either but knowing when the Tiger Eye was introduced is beyond my pay grade but if you can find that then in theory you could buy a pre Tiger Eye loom and fit that
Weather it is cheaper than modules I have no idea .
Eventually all mower engines will need to be either electric or fuel injected to meet emission standards .
Forward thinking mower companys adapted their mowers to take an electronic engine control which will be fitted into the modules so the converson to EFI will be seamless .

estebank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input. I understand the reluctance to bypass safety module. I actually don't think it is at fault, I was just looking for some input on bypassing techniques. My mower is currently working, but starter problems seem to be a recurring issue that I have been unable to resolve to my satisfaction. My confidence is currently at 0% and expectations are 100%. Engine is currently working properly but I am always expecting it to not start. Schematic is burned into my brain. Such a simple circuit should not be so much trouble. I despise intermittent electrical issues. And oil leaks. LOL.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BEcause the Tiger eye controls the magneto , fuel solenoid & starter solenoid so each one of these needs to be independently switched
BEcause there is no M to G connection on the key switch you will need to replace the switch with one that has or instal relays so it becomes a major wiring effort.

And that is before you look at safety switch interlocking which is why I suggested to rewire as per Liberty.
The switch is available as aftermarket item so reasonable price. Loom is $$$ to buy but cheap to make.
You might even be able to find a used one from a parted out mower then at worst you might need to lengthen it in a couple of spots to make it fit ,

Hayward51

Threads
Did you ever resolve your safety interlock issue ? I also have an '02 Tiger Cub with a bad module. I have bypa$$ed it for now.