Export thread

throwing belt

I

Indian4dirt

hi all!
i recently picked up an older Snapper rear engine rider mower. if i read the markings correctly, it's from the early 80's. it has a 14HP electric start. there have been a few issues as would be expected with an older model but i have one problem that just continues to baffle me. the drive belt to the mower deck keeps flying off. it seems to be related to when the drive is disengaged. from what i see in diagrams at the Snapper website, all the parts seem to be in place. i think all the correct parts are present. i'm opened to the possibility that i am operating it wrongly.
once i get it running and engaged, the thing works fine. a fresh set of blades are in order, but that will come after i get this worked out. if i need to stop for a moment to clear a path, move a hose , or anything else, and i want to get off, i need to disengage the belt or the safety switch in the seat kills the engine. when i disengage, the belt flies off. if it doesn't get destroyed i can stand the mower on end, reinstall the belt and continue, but, honestly, that process gets real old, real fast.

anybody ever have this issue? got any wise ideas? or maybe a suggestion where to look for operational instruction?

this mower is used enuff that all the original onboard stickers for each control and its function are gone.

D~~~!

:confused: :newhere:

reynoldston

reynoldston

anybody ever have this issue?

Yes I have found that when this happens that you have the wrong belt installed. This is the reason I try to buy my belts from the dealer if I can.

Carscw

Carscw

Here is a trick I have used shut the mower off while the blades are still on

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

I

Indian4dirt

could be. i have replaced a V belt with a V belt. since the "original" was falling off, i have experimented with modestly shorter belts. same effect. the Snapper website offers what i will assume to be the correct belt at about 3 times the price of what i get at the local mower shop or auto parts store. the website offers no clue as to why their belt is so much more expensive. with no explanation, or descriptive info to determine the differences, i'm skeptical of a rip off.

Carscw

Carscw

could be. i have replaced a V belt with a V belt. since the "original" was falling off, i have experimented with modestly shorter belts. same effect. the Snapper website offers what i will assume to be the correct belt at about 3 times the price of what i get at the local mower shop or auto parts store. the website offers no clue as to why their belt is so much more expensive. with no explanation, or descriptive info to determine the differences, i'm skeptical of a rip off.

If you don't want to use a snapper belt then you have to change all your pulleys.

Snapper belts are made to match snapper pulleys. Some snappers use a double v belt

I

Indian4dirt

i'm not adverse to using Snapper belts. i just want to know what makes it different and justifies the expense.
do u know what is different?

I

ILENGINE

You didn't say which of the pulleys it is flying off of. the engine pulley, idler pulley, or the spindle pulley. Could be a belt guide problem.

reynoldston

reynoldston

i'm not adverse to using Snapper belts. i just want to know what makes it different and justifies the expense.
do u know what is different?

They are different???. I have ran into this problem more then once in my repair shop. Yes the belt is more money but cheaper if you have to buy more then one belt.

I

Indian4dirt

You didn't say which of the pulleys it is flying off of. the engine pulley, idler pulley, or the spindle pulley. Could be a belt guide problem.

i can't tell where it starts to eject from. it only happens when it is running and that is when i'm on top in the seat.

I

Indian4dirt

They are different???. I have ran into this problem more then once in my repair shop. Yes the belt is more money but cheaper if you have to buy more then one belt.

i don't know if they r different. i'm asking if anybody knows for sure? if there is no difference, i sure don'twant to pay for the brand name. if there is a real difference, please somebody explain it to me.?

reynoldston

reynoldston

I really can't tell the different, putting them side by side they look the same. All I can say keep trying what you are doing? maybe bad pulleys? Just telling you what I did to repair the problem.

Carscw

Carscw

i don't know if they r different. i'm asking if anybody knows for sure? if there is no difference, i sure don'twant to pay for the brand name. if there is a real difference, please somebody explain it to me.?

The pitch on the belt is different. A belt that is not a snapper belt will not sit in the grove on the pulley the way it should. A snapper belt is made just to fit a snapper pulley. A belt you get from a auto parts store is made to fit most pulleys put will not work good on a snapper or most MTD mowers.

I am thinking maybe you are missing a pin that keeps the belt from jumping off the pulley.

I

Indian4dirt

The pitch on the belt is different. A belt that is not a snapper belt will not sit in the grove on the pulley the way it should. A snapper belt is made just to fit a snapper pulley. A belt you get from a auto parts store is made to fit most pulleys put will not work good on a snapper or most MTD mowers.

I am thinking maybe you are missing a pin that keeps the belt from jumping off the pulley.

ok, i can understand what u say about differences.
new question. . .
which pin? where is it located? would it hold a snapper belt in place but not another brand?

I

Indian4dirt

I really can't tell the different, putting them side by side they look the same. All I can say keep trying what you are doing? maybe bad pulleys? Just telling you what I did to repair the problem.

thx for the input.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I try to give information on this forum by guessing only. I live in NY state and you live in California and have no idea what your problem is other then what I have found in repairs that I have done in my shop here. You may have a pulley or bearing problem but I hope you have checked that out? I also have no idea what you are using for a belt? maybe a car fan belt? Is something bent or missing? Like the pins that was mention in the pass post? This is one of the reasons I sometimes I don't like giving advice on repairs.

I

Indian4dirt

I try to give information on this forum by guessing only. I live in NY state and you live in California and have no idea what your problem is other then what I have found in repairs that I have done in my shop here. You may have a pulley or bearing problem but I hope you have checked that out? I also have no idea what you are using for a belt? maybe a car fan belt? Is something bent or missing? Like the pins that was mention in the pass post? This is one of the reasons I sometimes I don't like giving advice on repairs.

i understand. and i am NOT holding u to have the perfect answer.
this is my first Snapper, and my first rider. i really am way behind the 8 ball as to what could cause what is happening. ALL ideas are helpful at this point. they will all lead in some direction. sooner or later i'll get close enuff to my trbl to get it stopped.
thx again.

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

hi all!
i recently picked up an older Snapper rear engine rider mower. if i read the markings correctly, it's from the early 80's. it has a 14HP electric start. there have been a few issues as would be expected with an older model but i have one problem that just continues to baffle me. the drive belt to the mower deck keeps flying off. it seems to be related to when the drive is disengaged. from what i see in diagrams at the Snapper website, all the parts seem to be in place. i think all the correct parts are present. i'm opened to the possibility that i am operating it wrongly.
once i get it running and engaged, the thing works fine. a fresh set of blades are in order, but that will come after i get this worked out. if i need to stop for a moment to clear a path, move a hose , or anything else, and i want to get off, i need to disengage the belt or the safety switch in the seat kills the engine. when i disengage, the belt flies off. if it doesn't get destroyed i can stand the mower on end, reinstall the belt and continue, but, honestly, that process gets real old, real fast.

anybody ever have this issue? got any wise ideas? or maybe a suggestion where to look for operational instruction?

this mower is used enuff that all the original onboard stickers for each control and its function are gone.

D~~~!

:confused: :newhere:

Can you post a photo of the top of the deck with the pulley cover removed? Maybe one from each side?

I

Indian4dirt

Can you post a photo of the top of the deck with the pulley cover removed? Maybe one from each side?

i haven't taken any pics of it yet. give me some time. what do u mean by "pulley cover" all my belts are pretty much out in the open.

BustedKnuckles

BustedKnuckles

i haven't taken any pics of it yet. give me some time. what do u mean by "pulley cover" all my belts are pretty much out in the open.

Cool, you're one step ahead; just take pics of whatcha got.

P

Pappy 1954

I had that problem. The belt would come off the front pully. I made this bracket. I call it the Snapper Belt Keeper. It never came off again.

Snapper Belt Keeper (Picture is sideways for easier viewing)
IMG_3522.jpg