The time is nigh!

Greenblades

Threads
July is the month I have to fish or cut bait and buy a lawn mower. I'm crossing my fingers for a robotic one but if I can't find one I'm going to go for an electric ride on. Failing that I might flip a coin between push and gas powered ride on.

Mickie2

Threads
Goog luck with that. Let us know what you got. I've got to replace my deer (seems they are not too popular here?). I didn't want to take it broken it in the move so I sold it cheap. I didn't realize the grass would be ruined here so I haven't really needed one yet. But I'm like you. Gonna have to do it.

beesnroses32

Threads
Looking over the thread, and I can't really speak for Mickie, but what I think he means is not too popular on this forum. That the more experienced people here seem to prefer other brands to Deere.

Hand2ThePlow

Threads
Looking over the thread, and I can't really speak for Mickie, but what I think he means is not too popular on this forum. That the more experienced people here seem to prefer other brands to Deere.

That's possible, I hadn't thought of "here" as the forum. Even then, I haven't gotten the impression that JD in unpopular on this forum either. Check this thread as an example:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/220-Is-your-John-Deere-worth-it?

Again, I'm just curious why they would be unpopular (other than brand loyal flame wars).

beesnroses32

Threads
I think its probably brand loyalty. I've only been here a little bit (and Mickie looks like he/she hasn't been here too long), so I have probably only seen passing remarks like here http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/30-Hello?highlight=deer and some other threads, but haven't had a chance to get to the ones like the link you just saw. I don't know of a specific reason to avoid Deere's. We have a ton around here.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think there was a time that everything made with the John Deere name was of the highest quality possible...
BUT with closer margins in the very competitive field of lawn mowers. You are going to find various quality within everyone of the major brands.

The most important consideration when you look at a mower should be...
How much area do you have to mow AND
How long can I reasonably figure it will be, before I have to replace the machine I am now looking at?...
If you are looking at something that will get you by for 3 to 5 years, there are a lot of lower end riders and ZTRs that will fit that market. In 3 to 5 years you will be spending the same amount again for the same type mower, and again, and again... with each replacement costing around 25% more for each replacement.

If you have already gone through 1 or more of those type mowers... and are looking to find a mower that is going to last the rest of your life ... You should be looking at a completely different type mower...

I am not saying you need an actual commercial grade mower to mow an average size lot.
But buy a mower that could last for as long as you want to maintain it...:smile:
KennyV