The ground wire and the ignition coil

JimP2014

Threads
Hello,

I decided to start a new thread to try to figure out if a problem with my tractor is electrical.

Tell me if these steps make sense.

1. Remove the ground wire from the coil.
2. Start the engine ( turn the key )
3. See how well the engine runs. Does it cut out?

I guess what I don't understand is the little wire ( ground wire ) is what tells the engine to quit when you turn the key off? In other words I am done using the lawn mower
turn the key to off and send a signal thru the little wire to tell the engine to stop running. Is this what is going on, during normal usage?

Thanks,
Jim

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you turn the key to the off position is creates a circuit between the M terminal on the key switch to the metal housing of the switch to ground, or a path between M and G if the switch is not otherwise grounded.

In other words, turning off the key is the same as touching the end of the ground wire from the ignition module to the mower frame.

JimP2014

Threads
ILENGINE,

You have answered the question in a way that doesn't make sense to me. I really am asking this. If I am running the engine and then I disconnect the little wire to the coil have I eliminated the problem of the kill switch from the testing? The engine was just overhauled and 5 minutes after i got it back it refused to start. I am trying to remove the kill switch from the equation or say, 'Yeah know I know it is the kill switch".

Jim

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
disconnecting the coil wire eliminates the kill circuit from the equation. You can't shut it off without that wire connected, or you have to ground the tab on the coil to kill.