Export thread

TENACITY® --- how to apply to 36 - 50 sq. ft. of lawn

MowerMark

MowerMark

LABEL: https://www.domyown.com/msds/Tenacity Herbicide Label.pdf

https://www.domyown.com/tenacity-herbicide-p-1877.html

Have an 8 oz. bottle of this Tenacity herbicide as it is easily available to all consumers. The directions for application are "4 - 8 oz. per 30 gallons of water per acre". OH MY ! I'd like to test this on only 30 - 60 sq. ft. of the lawn to see the response of the bent grass.

1. How to mix just a small amount of this Tenacity to apply as a test?

2. It should be applied with a "non-ionic surfactant". In the past I've used "Aquaduct", a fine granulated powder. What is a good non-ionic surfactant for the lawn ?

cpurvis

cpurvis

That must be some really strong stuff if 4-6 ounces in 30 gallons of water is enough to treat an acre (43,560 square feet).

6 ounces per 30 gallons = 1/5th ounce per gallon. One gallon of the mixture treats 1/30th of an acre, or 1542 square feet.

1/5th of an ounce isn't a lot; 1.15 teaspoons.

I don't know if it's non-ionic but I use Dawn dishwashing soap as a surfactant.

MowerMark

MowerMark

That must be some really strong stuff if 4-6 ounces in 30 gallons of water is enough to treat an acre (43,560 square feet).

6 ounces per 30 gallons = 1/5th ounce per gallon. One gallon of the mixture treats 1/30th of an acre, or 1542 square feet.

1/5th of an ounce isn't a lot; 1.15 teaspoons.

I don't know if it's non-ionic but I use Dawn dishwashing soap as a surfactant.

Impressive. Thanks. So how many cc's of Tenacity to use per quart of water on say 10 square feet?

How much Dawn per quart of water ?

Does on apply the Dawn first, then Tenacity, or can they be mixed?

cpurvis

cpurvis

About 1.5 cc of Tenacity to a quart of water, but according to the application rate you gave, a quart is enough to treat 363 square feet, not 10.

Add the surfactant (Dawn) to the mix with the last of the water. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of foam.

MowerMark

MowerMark

About 1.5 cc of Tenacity to a quart of water, but according to the application rate you gave, a quart is enough to treat 363 square feet, not 10.

Add the surfactant (Dawn) to the mix with the last of the water. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of foam.

Great info! So I'll just try a third of that quart on 100 square feet.

Is Dawn as good as Monterey Herbicide Helper? EZ Foam ?

How much Dawn to add to the quart of mixed Tenacity?

cpurvis

cpurvis

I can't answer your question about surfactants. All I know is they reduce surface tension of water to keep it from beading on the plant thus giving more even, complete coverage of the plant. I don't even know what a non-ionic surfactant is, so Dawn may not be the best one to use in your application. If you can get your hands on the non-ionic kind, that is probably the best thing for you to do.

If you end up using Dawn, a small squirt in a quart of water is plenty.

MowerMark

MowerMark

My 10 should have read 100, or 10 x 10 ft.

MowerMark

MowerMark

Would this be the final test mixture ?

Okay. How about 0.5 cc Tenacity® in a quart of water, followed by a squirt of Dawn®, and the entire quart applied to 100 square feet of possibly bent grass infested bluegrass lawn ? Or did my feeble mind screw up again?

MowerMark

MowerMark

Tenacity videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=97&v=qoKtahy3aBw

https://youtu.be/QjHszetM8Dw

This man recommends 0.5 tsp of Tenacity per gallon of water. 0.5 tsp is about 2.5 cc. The addition of a blue dye is smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoKtahy3aBw

MowerMark

MowerMark

Is this calculation correct ?

If 6 oz. of Tenacity in 30 gallons over one acre is recommended, then what would be the mixture for 1,500 sq. ft. ?

If one assumes the volume, is not critical, but needs to be convenient, then it seems 6.0 cc Tenacity per 1,500 sq. ft. ?????

(one acre = 43,500 sq. ft., 6 oz. = 177 cc)

MowerMark

MowerMark

Despite my pissing and moaning there's abnormal grass, and despite the above-average application of Tenacity, there has been virtually no change in the treated area. Videos on the Internet show there should be definite changes in four days.

BlazNT

BlazNT

Are you watering your yard?

MowerMark

MowerMark

Are you watering your yard?

Have watered the lawn twice so far, first one three days after Tenacity application.

BlazNT

BlazNT

I know nothing works unless the stuff you are spraying is growing. It has to take in the product.

MowerMark

MowerMark

I know nothing works unless the stuff you are spraying is growing. It has to take in the product.

All parts of the lawn are growing. Will take pictures and movies today. Strange grass.

MowerMark

MowerMark

Tenacity is working. I should have been more tenacious (and patient)

All parts of the lawn are growing. Will take pictures and movies today. Strange grass.

One can see grass seed sprouting in the soil, despite Tenacity.

Attachments

MowerMark

MowerMark

Re: Tenacity is REALLY working. Unless there are many dogs relieving themselves.

YIKES.... the weeds looked better than this. What to do next ?

Attachments

MowerMark

MowerMark

Re: Tenacity is REALLY working. Unless there are many dogs relieving themselves.

YIKES.... the weeds looked better than this. What to do next ?

70 degrees this AM and no wind - - - a Tenacity day. Stayed three feet away from the drip line of a lemon tree.

Did the other front lawn BUT it was problematic. Five days ago Ironite was applied to this lawn, and despite using double the amount of blue marker dye, it was difficult to see the prior sprays. Bet more than the recommended Tenacity was applied.

The good news: the lawn treated weeks ago is looking better and better each day. Only reseeded eight intensely dead areas.

Pictures and videos taken.