Tecumseh TVXL 840 2 Stroke Carburetor

1hook

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old snapper mower that has a Tecumseh engine on it. It’s stamped tvxl840 and is a 2 stroke. From an old manual this appears to be a series 6 2 cycle carb. The carburetor is absolutely shot, corroded terribly and likely beyond repair.

My normal internet sleuthing hasn’t turned up replacement carbs or even a carb kit to try and repair the old one. From what I can tell the part number for this carb is 63243. But I’m just not finding much

anyone know where I could find these parts or a possible replacement? Just tying to get this old girl running again. Figured I’d ask the experts

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post all engine numbers stamped on the shroud or engine tag. Many different carbs were used on that series engine.

1hook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please post all engine numbers stamped on the shroud or engine tag. Many different carbs were used on that series engine.
Sure thing, total number is
TVXL840-8405 7154A

1hook

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can also see two different numbers on the carb itself, not sure if they are relevant.
1220 is stamped where the carb mounts to the intake.

58 appears stamped onto the body of the carb itself

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks to me like your carb numBert should be either 632434 or superseded to 632755. You are correct, both of these carbs are NLA. That said, repair parts are still available, depending on what you need. I’m assuming you have the older carb. If you do a google search using number 632434, you should be able to find the parts you need.

1hook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great thanks for the help, I was leaving a number off my carb part I see and I think that was messing me up. I have found the parts I need!

1CaveMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks to me like your carb numBert should be either 632434 or superseded to 632755. You are correct, both of these carbs are NLA. That said, repair parts are still available, depending on what you need. I’m assuming you have the older carb. If you do a google search using number 632434, you should be able to find the parts you need.
I have a similar situation, but worse. One of the mount castings on the carburetor is broken. The serial number on my engine is TVXL840-8405A 8026A. This is a fantastic engine, still going as strong as it was in 1988 when I purchased it. Is it also a 632434? Any ideas where to find a replacement carburetor?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
The early TVXL840s had an issue with the port plugs popping out but once Tecumseh got that straightened out those were great engines with a lot of torque. They even made one with a Lawn Boy tapered crankshaft that came with a mounting adapter to fit the Lawn Boy deck. They looked pretty ugly on a Lawn Boy but they worked very well.

Your 632434 was discontinued in 2003 and it's replacement 632755 went away in 2013. Certified Parts Corp acquired certain portions of Tecumseh in 2009 and has a huge warehouse full of discontinued parts so I would definitely give them a try. This is also where any current production Tecumseh carbs come from. I doubt they'd build you one but if anyone would have one in their obsolete parts inventory it would be them. If they can't help you I have one or two more places you could try but I don't have their info handy at the moment.

1689258835118.png