TECUMSEH TVM220 1582A8B GOVERNOR ARM

geobee

Threads
Hi all, this engine runs without load, but noticed when loaded down, the governor arm on the crankcase is not pulling back with the engine revs.
I fear it is something internal that has broken, or fell off. Due to parts for these being hard to find, don't really want to have to strip it down to that level of repair, as it will then require new gaskets etc. I have another Tecumseh engine a OHV125-203040D which is short of a starter motor and muffler. To me, these parts are the same on these engines, the TVM220, and the older OHV125. The issue I have with doing this swap over is the TVM is a cleaner running engine, where the OHV is a bit fumey. I guess I could strip both engines and get the governor mech from the OHV engine to repair the newer one, if it would be the same, I'm not too sure if it would be, but the two engines do appear to be the same block etc. Would just like a second opinion on this one. Many thanks.

geobee

Threads
Thanks for that. Decided to remove engine and remove the bottom half of crankcase to have a look. Found the governor gear has one of the two little weights broken off, and laying somewhere in the case. It is a different gear to the older engine I quoted, so will have to order one from the US. At least this part is still available, unlike most of the Tecumseh parts, so it should get it back into service for some time to come.