Tecumseh OHV155 engine sputtering

fos059

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone! I have an old (1999) MTD Yard Machines riding mower with a Tecumseh ohv155 engine. The engine starts up fine and idles fine for the first couple of minutes, but when I start moving forward the engine starts to sputter/stall, almost like it's flooding from the movement. I've replaced the air filter and spark plug. The carburetor is original , except for the floater bowl, which I've replaced a couple of times. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and what the fix might be?

dougand3

Threads
Internal carb passages are probably partially clogged with varnish or debris. Esp if you use ethanol gas. Need total carb cleaning - disassembly & parts washer. Inspect needle & seat. Carb is Tec 640330. Probably NLA. You can search for an AfterMarket replacement and match it.
Why change the float bowl 2x? Carb cleaner will de-grunge it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You say it seems to be flooding, but unless you see black smoke I’m guessing it’s probably a lean running condition, due to a swollen float seat reducing the amount of fuel in the float bowl. My recommendation is to remove the carb, give it a good cleaning and replace the float needle and seat. Properly set the float level and reinstall and test. This Tecumseh carb guide might help you. http://www.tecumsehcarburetorguide.com/how-to-guide/

fos059

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your replies! I replaced the bowl twice because the 1st time did it at the recommendation of a friend who is more savvy at mower repair than me. The second time I broke the nozzle off for the fuel line when I was taking the fuel line off. And...i actually replaced the bowl assembly again a few days ago and it's running fine again! It's an inexpensive part at around $25 with shipping and easy to replace.