Export thread

Tecumseh HM80 loose Governor Shaft?

L

lostinbaja

I have a HM80 on a tiller that I can no longer get to run correctly. As it idles (Too fast) the throttle lever bounces off the idle stop screw and I think it's because the governor shaft has a lot of play in it at the engine case. Is there supposed to be a bushing between the case and the shaft? If so, can I put a new bushing on the shaft? Can I put it on the shaft without having to remove the side of the engine?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry...

M

motoman

Jerry, see if you can find a parts explosion and see a removable bushing. Maybe someone here has a source

L

lostinbaja

I have been to 3 local small engine shops in the area and nobody can tell me what is in the engine or how to repair the play in the governor shaft.

KrashnKraka

KrashnKraka

I have a HM80 on a tiller that I can no longer get to run correctly. As it idles (Too fast) the throttle lever bounces off the idle stop screw and I think it's because the governor shaft has a lot of play in it at the engine case. Is there supposed to be a bushing between the case and the shaft? If so, can I put a new bushing on the shaft? Can I put it on the shaft without having to remove the side of the engine?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry...

I am hearing you with the horizontal 'slop' of the G-shaft.
If it was the G-lever arc of travel you would have cause for concern, and a fix.
Reads to me like you could do with either a new G-spring or adjusting
the tension of the existing spring so the stop is stable, and any increase
in moving the throttle to RPM immediately adjusts the G-lever.
It is a delicate adjustment with tension or lack of at idle being critical.

KK

M

motoman

Can you get a clear look at the engine block where the shaft enters? Clean it and take a close look for a pressed in brass bush. Otherwise , maybe like the cheaper carburetor shaft bores which (unfortunately) just wear and let unwanted air in?