Export thread

Tecumseh H60

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Installed new points and condenser, now I need help timing the ignition
I have The piston at 080 before TDC, at this point, the points have the 020 gap between them, I saw a guy use a test light going on and off for the firing of the points, he said that right when the light goes off is where you want to set it. I do not have a test light but I do have a multimeter with the "beeeeeep" ;) setting, so I'm using it as a substitute, but nowhere in the adjustment of the piece do I get a beep no beep.

This is my first time ever working on a points and condenser engine, so any other ways to do it will be very appreciated. I have watched multiple videos even one that tecumseh made, and.. Well..:confused2:

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

tom3

tom3

I'm thinking that after the intake valve closes, and the piston is coming up to top dead center the points should be closed, charging the system, then at the right point (.080 before?) the points start to open, breaking the circuit, field collapses and fires the plug. Are you turning the crankshaft in the right direction?

Russ2251

Russ2251

Unless stator was moved, timing should not be necessary.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well, in the Tecumseh video I watched they said that you should re time it if the points are replaced,
I am turning it in the correct direction. Clockwise from flywheel side, CCW from pto.
One thing I just noticed, the plastic points "pawl" that contacts the lobe on the crank, there is always about a 004 thou. Gap, I just tested it with a 004 feeler and the whole time the crank spins, the lobe never comes into contact with the points.Even when the high side comes around.
I did use after Market Oregon brand. Not Tecumseh.

Russ2251

Russ2251

That "pawl" needs to make contact.
Loosen screw (just enough to move) that holds points in place and carefully moving points until contact is made.
As you rotate crankshaft notice that points are open (or should be open) most of the time. Adjustment should be made when points are at
their maximum open position or top of cam lobe.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I've tried adjusting and moving the points and can not get the plastic pawl to make contact with the ignition lobe. Wondering if I should try OEM tecumseh points..

R

Rivets

First the plastic arm on the points needs to be touching the cam lobe at all times. Second, using your VOM on “beep” is how I do it. Third, .060” BTDC is correct. This manual has the procedure for timing. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thanks Rivets!

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

This is getting on my nerves, whenever I set the points gap, tighten the screw down, that's when the gap appears, it goes from touching the lobe( high side) to about a 004" gap when I tightened the screw down .

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I think i got it!!!!

i took the new points out and compared them to the old Original ones, and the metal tab that comes from the points to the small screw where the ignition wires connect too, that tab had a slightly different bend in it than the original so i got my pliers and bent it to look like the original tecumseh points, put it back in, high side of the lobe comes around points open! looks as though everything is working as it should.
strange fix, but i think it will work....:confused2::laughing:

T

tadawson

Chinese part quality at no extra charge!

You asked about trying OEM first . . . . some of us would never do otherwise, for exactly these kinds of reasons . . . It cost you how much time to save a couple of dollars?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Rivets, could you explain your method for using your meter to set timing.
I have The piston at 060 btdc.

R

Rivets

Believe it or not, I get out the manual I attached and follow the procedure listed on pages 68-70. You must follow these to the letter, so read them three times and have a copy next to you when you do the procedure. Hardest part is setting the piston, but I have the tool listed.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Okay will do, I usually have to read things a time or ten to understand them.
I do have a dial indicator gauge setup