Export thread

Tecumseh carb replacement

RP54

RP54

I have a Tecumseh V60 70093G from a '57 Bolens riding mower that I bought recently. The carburetor is filled with lacquer - even the butterfly valves are seized. I haven't disassembled it it yet but I know it would need a complete overhaul, not just a cleaning; I think I want to just replace the carburetor rather than dealing with all the time and hassle of cleaning and rebuilding it. I claim no expertise with Tecumseh but I am of the understanding they have an unbelievable array of carburetors, and many are not interchangeable between models. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction please? I see some online that are supposed to be replacements for mine but do not look the same (these are over $90), and others that look just like mine ($13). With such a huge difference in price I have to wonder if it is quality or money grubbing.
Thanks! - Bob

I

ILENGINE

You are looking for carb part number 631177 which supercedes to 631800A.

dougand3

dougand3

Had a similar deal. Got a Craftsman RER with 10hp TVM220 on it. Carb was rusted inside and I busted the pin retainer slot trying to get it out. OEM carbs were $80. I found a similar carb for an HM100 for $9. The choke lever is different and operates 90* removed form OEM. I could have adapted choke plate and rod to use choke cable - knob is under your right leg. But I just left it - just move your right hand back there. I even put a sign on there for the newbie.

Attachments

RP54

RP54

Thank you both.
I had found those part numbers as well as 632230 & 632272. All looked similar, thus my confusion. I should have added that to my initial post, sorry.
I found rebuild kits that are quite cheap but as I mentioned there is so much stuff caked everywhere. I know Tecumseh has lots of tiny orifices and missing just one is enough to have problems, so I think my best choice is to get a new one.

BTW I saw a couple places that still offered the 631800a. I think I'm going to go with the superseded one (631177) with the presumption it is improved.
Again, thanks!

R

Rivets

Read IL reply again. The old carb number is 631177, which supersedes to the new carb number of 631800A.

T

tadawson

Myself, I'd soak the old one for a bit first. Sometimes things aren't as bad as they seem, and those older carbs really don't have that many passages. Unless you have an immediate need, not much to lose . . .

K

kwgerloff

Soak it in vinegar . it may take a few hours to a whole day but you may be surprised how well it works.

RP54

RP54

I will soak it, thanks.