Tecumseh 5.5 making me nuts! no spark here...

mr62buick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, got at auction a Yard-Man yard vacuum/chipper shredder.. looks great. Got her home, tried to start, no gas or spark. Took carb off, re-cleaned and got new bowl gaskets. I pulled off flywheel cover, coil, flywheel. I found this has no points/condenser or ignition module, just the flywheel and coil. I removed the green kill switch wire from the coil and tried again.. no spark. I ohm tested the coil, its wide open. I went to the mower shop, got a new coil and plug. Inserted coil, plug, flywheel... tried to start.. nothing. I pulled spark plug out, checked for spark again (normally I can hold onto ignition wire and sure it gives ya a small tingle, but as long as you don't start the mower or spin the flywheel really fast you will not get zapped) Anyways, no spark.... I cleaned flywheel of dust/rust, checked my gap on the coil to flywheel, pulled the cord, and nothing.. I ohms tested the coil and its good at 6. I have 3 tester spark plugs, and nothing... what am I missing? The flywheel magnets are strong, and since I am only checking for spark, I not need the flywheel key to be anywhere in particular even though it is not sheared... I turn the engine over by hand with no spark plug in it and nothing!

UGH in PDX

Im a ASE Master tech, and this one cylinder motor is kicking my butt! I guess it's time to retire...

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf

Tecumseh Service Manuals

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tecumseh engine repair manuals

Absolutely wrong, I'm trying to help you, that's what I do, the manuals I post are free, unless you are in need of a manual to purchase as some do. When I post page with manuals at top of page and websites below they are for you to read. If you've been doing this for thirty years, you should know information is needed to assist you. Post all numbers from engine, thanks.

Last edited:

mr62buick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I already went there, they talk about points ignition, plus are you trying to sell manuals or help me?

Going to the Tecumseh website is limited. they don't tell you how to ohm's test a coil... its basic stuff I learned in high school 30 years ago.

"if it don't spark, call our service center today!"

Jack17

Threads
Only thing I can think of is a fact that magnets (whether be Alcom or earths) do lose their magnetism. I don't know how to check it properly other then by "by-feel".

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There has to be either points or a points equivalent in there or there will be no spark.
Way back in the 70's a couple of Aussies ( imigrants naturally ) made the first Hall effect timig module and sold them world wide as "Atom ignition modules'
These simply replaced the points.
When the patients ran out every company copied them and fitted them externally to their engines.
Then some clever Dick worked out they could be fitted inside the coil encapsulation which reduced the production costs and made the coils impliment specific.
So now nearly every new coil will have an embeded module, but they still make the old points ones as well for older engines that are not economic to upgrade to a superseded part.

So what has this got to do with you ?
If you put a Points type coil on an engine without points, it won't spark. Any you have mentioned a few times the manuel says you should have points.
So my guess is some time previous your motor got the superceeded part , thus no points.

My suggestion, get a cheap ignition module ( used one from a mower breaker ), and connect it to the kill wire coming out of the coil then earth the module against the engine some where and try for a spark again. If you get one then fit the unit properly or try to exchange the coil ( good luck with that one ) for one with a module included but bring your big wallet with you.

Most of the time it is 1/2 the price to fit a plain coil + external module than to buy the OEM direct replacement.

Sorry for the history lesson but I think it makes things a lot clearer