Export thread

Tecumseh 10HP 143-296042 Ignition How to update to non-points.

silver1

silver1

I have read that newer engines have coils that eliminate points.
Can I do that to my 10HP? If so what would be the part #?
Alternator magneto no. 610979.
LB

C

chance123

I am not certain, but I think Tec made a replacement coil just like B & S did. I will look in my book on Monday morning.

R

Rivets

If I did my research correctly, you have a VM100-157034B engine with a three legged coil mounted under the flywheel. Tecumseh did not made a CDI replacement for this system. Sorry for the bad news, but maybe chance will prove me wrong.

B

Buckshot 1

:smile: Ditto on what Rivets posted. Plus there are no mounting legs for the coil/mag on the block and no magnet on the flywheel O.D..

C

chance123

+1 what Riv and Buck said, but years ago I remember seeing a small solid state module that can be easily installed. I remember putting one on an old Clinton engine. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

B

Buckshot 1

:smile:That module was probably an Atom, there are others but can not recall the names.

C

chance123

:smile:That module was probably an Atom, there are others but can not recall the names.

YES!! That's the one.

silver1

silver1

YES!! That's the one.

Great,. waiting for more info.

C

chance123

Great,. waiting for more info.

Actually after seeing if they were still available in my book, they are called "NOVA" (works with 2 & 3 leg coils). I guess I remembered 4 letters and Atom sounded familier. They cost around $15.00. Funny because "NOVA" in Spanish means "No Go". Perhaps that's why the Chevy Nova didn't do too well here in So Cal

silver1

silver1

Actually after seeing if they were still available in my book, they are called "NOVA" (works with 2 & 3 leg coils). I guess I remembered 4 letters and Atom sounded familier. They cost around $15.00. Funny because "NOVA" in Spanish means "No Go". Perhaps that's why the Chevy Nova didn't do too well here in So Cal

GM tried sell Nova's in Mexico and failed:laughing:
I heard that was why.

ANy idea where to find this module?

B

Buckshot 1

GM tried sell Nova's in Mexico and failed:laughing:
I heard that was why.

ANy idea where to find this module?

:smile: I have no idea. Try Goggle or Bing. When the Atom module 1st came out. they were produced in different colors and they suggested you contact them with your engine information, so they could provide the right one. After their patent run out, Nova module was born. I have never used either, but I have heard good/bad reports on both.