Tapping Noise from Homelite Blower

ABrosz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi and Hello"

I finally had time to see if my Homelite Vac Attack II leaf blower runs. I installed new spark plug, gapped at 0.025 in, added new fuel with 50:1and it started. However at high RPM i am hearing a slight clicking/tapping from the metal side case of the 30 cc motor.

I removed the side case and did not see any marks on the cover. However, the connecting rod seems loose on the crankshaft pin. Some movement but not much. Is there supposed to be some slack or movement? How much? Is there supposed to be a C-clip on the pin to keep from no movement. I would think a C-clip or equivalent is desirable on the pin to prevent horizontal movement. Maybe I have very loose connecting rod and it should be replaced??

I have played with Mccolloch go-kart racing engines in the past and do not remember any movement of the connecting rod on the crankshaft and between the crankshaft lobes.

Thanks in advance. Love this forum. I am a 1st post.

ABrosz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this your unit? https://www.ereplacementparts.com/homelite-ut08544-vac-attack-parts-c-18807_18808_139650.html
They don't part lower than a short block and then say it's NLA.
These are really cheap engines and will have some slop. Think a C clip beside con rod would grenade engine if slung loose.
I'd run more oil - 32:1, retune carb and use it till it fails.
Thx Doug. Good information. I will try the 32: 1 mixture as you described. A little unclear as to why HOMELITE did not take more time to design less slack in the connecting rod on the crankshaft journal pin. Maybe the noise is piston slop, another sign of poor design. In my spare time I will investigate this more. I tend to take care of my equipment as it is so expensive to buy new toys. Too bad it's a throw away design.

The HOMELITE Vac Attack II Blower is model UT-08542-A, close to the link you sent me.

Thx again. Happy Thanksgiving.

DaveTN

Threads
Hi and Welcome to the LMF! I’ve never seen a c clip on a c rod and yes if
it had one it would be an accident looking for a place to happen. It’s amazing
to me these cheap built Troy-Bilt, Craftsman type blowers and weed eaters
stay running as long as they do. And yes I’ve noticed some slop in the rod
bearings. I saw a Husq Rancher Chainsaw lock up when rod needle bearings
let go. One got caught between the piston and cylinder wall. And you can
imagine the gouge marks. Ouch! Rod knocking could be the tapping noise.

Last edited: