Export thread

TALL GRASS=BUGS!

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Yesterday and today I have mowed 2 lawns that had pretty tall grass. And both of them had TONS of bugs. I would mow, and they would come out of the grass (HUGE mosquitoes and other bugs), fly around, and then land back in the grass. It was disgusting. I think the reason they are here is a) because of the recent heavy rain.... b) because of the season..... and c) because of the tall grass. I absolutely HATE mowing with them all around, because of the West Nile Virus getting worse. Also, when I mow past a bush, they come flying out of it. It is SOOOOO disgusting.

I read an article right now and this is what it said: "Contrary to popular belief, mosquitoes do not breed in tall grass or thick brush. These areas provide an excellent refuge for adult mosquitoes during the heat of the day but in no way contribute to mosquito breeding, nor do they provide habitat for mosquito larvae." (http://www.mda.state.md.us/plants-pests/mosquito_control/mosquito_info/mosquito_biology.php)

Maybe the reason they are here is because of the warmer weather we have had the past 2 days (it has been around 80).

Has anyone else had this problem?????

Ric

Ric

Are they black in color? Do they look like this? They could be a single bug also.

Lovebugs.jpg

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Are they black in color? Do they look like this? They could be a single bug also.

View attachment 9021

I don't think so. If that is what they are I am no longer EVER going to mow tall grass right after it rains....THOSE BUGS LOOK DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Ric

Ric

I don't think so. If that is what they are I am no longer EVER going to mow tall grass right after it rains....THOSE BUGS LOOK DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!:eek:

The lovebug, Plecia nearctica, is a member of the family of march flies, It is also known as the honeymoon fly, kissingbug, or double-headed bug and it's harmless. They love to be around anything involving fuel. There more of a PITA than anything else. They are bad here others places at certain times of the year.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

They love to be around anything involving fuel.

Well the bugs I saw kind of got scared of the mower. Luckily!!

exotion

exotion

We get tons of nats :/ learn to breath through your nose :) Also Chigger bugs :/ annoying as hell Certain times of the year I use one of those clip on your belt bug repelent things works great

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

We get tons of nats :/ learn to breath through your nose :) Also Chigger bugs :/ annoying as hell Certain times of the year I use one of those clip on your belt bug repelent things works great

That is disgusting! Luckily we don't have bugs like that, but we do have cicada killer bugs...they can be up to 2 inches! (Picture attached). They dig holes in your yard everywhere and leave big mounds of dirt outside them. It is a good time to practice your tennis racket-swinging skills! They take cicadas and drag them into their holes and lay their eggs on them. I ran over one when I was mowing but I forgot I had the blades turned off because I was finished so it came out from under the mower and freaked out! I wish I had the blades on! There is this one lawn care person who whenever he is weedwacking he will try to weedwack the cidada killer wasps. It is fun the watch! :tongue: At one time there can be probably 20 of these bugs in one area of a yard!! Luckily they are only here in the summer, and not now.
cicada killer wasp.jpeg
(http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/cicada_killer.htm)

exotion

exotion

yuck yah if a bee or wasp comes near my weedwacker I like to explode it lol

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

yuck yah if a bee or wasp comes near my weedwacker I like to explode it lol

haha:laughing:

A

Ariena

That explains a lot of things.

L

Liopa

My God, these beetles really look scary.
When cutting grass, I always take the ultrasonic pest repellers with me to control the pests that save from bugs and mosquitoes. I am very glad that I have found such a product. Perhaps you will find it useful!

B

bertsmobile1

If any one thinks they need this product, they should give up & go line in an apartment surrounded buy concrete .
If a lawn care person thinks they need this product then they should go find another job
The bugs are what SHOULD be there we are the ones that should not be there .
Millions of idiots have tried to fight mother nature
They are all dead and she lives on .

StarTech

StarTech

From now forward until hard freezes I going to be covered up with Asian and Boxelder insects. The Asian beetles are being ran out of the soybean fields here and the fall frosts are making the Boxelder bugs to be gathering and mating before winter.

I will glad send anyone that want them by the 32 gallon garbage fulls.

B

Born2Mow

Millions of idiots have tried to fight mother nature
They are all dead and she lives on .
"When EF Hutton speaks, people listen.
But when Mother Nature calls, by God they respond in a hurry !!"