T2600 - Right Turn Sharper than Left Turn?

MannySwol

Forum Newbie
Threads

MTD 13AL79XT099 (Craftsman 247.255880) (T2600) (2018)​

First time mowing since the fall...

When I turn the wheel right, it spins to almost 9 o'clock... almost 270 degrees (full rotation = 360). When I turn the wheel to the left, it spins just short of 6 o'clock... almost 180 degrees. So I get about a quarter-turn more going right, than left. Discharge is on the right side.

I don't recall if this is normal or not... but when I first started mowing... the left turn seemed even worse than this... it appeared to "free up" a little after the first mow.

So, am I going crazy and it was always like this? Or do I have an issue? Nothing appears bent.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jack up both front wheels and look at things, check for a lot of slop somewhere. Or the link could be bent, it is hard to tell. There is a little adjustment.

steering..PNG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you jack it up, make sure you inspect the steering gear and sector gear. They may be worn and slipping. Probably have to remove the deck first.

MannySwol

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wonder if this is a limitation of the mower??

See the picture.. when turning left... the two highlighted objects make contact... so the steering wheel can't be turned further.. Pic taken with front jacked up.

So either something is really hosed.. or it is fine?

Attachments

• wheel_hit.jpg
    wheel_hit.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 25

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you check the steering and sector gears?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bent steering linkages from crashing into yard items. Most people never walk the yard prior to mowing. Most use a mower as a brush hog.

What does the front wheel alignment look like, steering wheel pointed straight? Those Craftsman mowers have a ton of slop from the factory. You get 20 plus degrees of slop each way until it turns.

slomo

MannySwol

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you check the steering and sector gears?

Yes. I'm no expert, but visually, they look fine and don't appear to be causing any restriction or binding/slipping.

The steering wheel, although a hair off... I adjusted it.. and it didn't make a noticeable difference.

Also.. the dynamics of the steering are much different on the ground (duh) and the parts that were hitting when jacked up, are not when the mower is grounded. Do think I see a slight bend in the tie rod though...

Last edited:

Mattmotors

Threads
I had the same problem with my with my Craftsman GTxxxx. I thought the steering link was bad so I ordered another one. Same problem. I took off the link and heated it up and bent it. I changed the geometry of it all. Now my steering left to right is about the same. The funny thing is , is I don't remember it being like that in the beginning. It would have drove me nuts. Then one way was tight (seemed normal to me) and the other way was wide. Once I bent that link, left and right were equal. I just wonder why the new link was so out. I do beat the snot out of this garden tractor and it keeps coming back for more.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Manny if you set the wheels going straight the steering wheel gear should be in the center of the sector gear +/- one tooth.