Export thread

Sx95 starting issue

C

Captncavmn

I have a new battery and new filters I got and start and nothing I looked by the starter and found a purple wire with a little 90 degree plug on it like a boot do not know where it goes I think this is why my mower is not starting

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

So is the starter turning the engine or not?
if the starter isn't engaging at all, i would think it's the Trigger wire for the starter solenoid.

C

Captncavmn

So is the starter turning the engine or not?
if the starter isn't engaging at all, i would think it's the Trigger wire for the starter solenoid.
No nothing at all if so where goes that wire go? I can’t seem to find it

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The set up looks similar to my RX75
This wire look like yours?
20210606-124108.jpg

20210606-124212.jpg

C

Captncavmn

The wire looks right but the starter is different than mine I will take photo later to show you

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Keep in mind that the trigger wire may not go to the starter on your model, looking on the interweb, that uses a separate starter and solenoid. trigger wire goes to the solenoid.

1623006994006.pngThis yellow/gold starter (solenoid shift) has the solenoid mounted to it .

1623007036744.png1623007076060.png

while starters with a bendix drive use a separate solenoid

C

Captncavmn

Photo 1 is my starter and the wire is purple with a 90 degree boot on the end small in size

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

what kind of connector does that 90° have in it, a flat blade or is it round?
kind of like the ends on these, 1623008396289.png

C

Captncavmn

No like the one you pictured before only smaller in size

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

No like the one you pictured before only smaller in size
no what i'm asking is what does the inside of that connector look like.. that may help determine to what, or where it plugs to. if it's flat blade on the inside, or if it's round.
post up some pictures of the starter, and solenoid as well as the wire when you can,.

I'm trying to track down a wiring diagram too.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

okay.... https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/72089/referrer/navigation/pgId/189520
i think i see that connector, it's 27B... and listed as the Solenoid Ground. Now where it gets tricky, JD is showing a solenoid mounted on the frame for the SX95, as well as a solenoid on the starter. unless certain versions used a mounted solenoid on the starter, and others a separate type...
I would trace the + positive cable from the battery and see where it goes... does it go to a solenoid, then to the a solenoid on the starter (which i have no idea why it would) or does it go straight to a solenoid mounted on the starter, with no "extra" solenoid in between...

C

Captncavmn

It is round

C

Captncavmn

It looks to me like it is 17

C

Captncavmn

A friend took the starter and solenoid off our mower for us. Now I get to reassemble everything. This is a little out of my comfort zone, but I'm good at following directions in a manual. Off the bottom of the blade terminal on the solenoid is a connection with two purple wires. One is fairly short and has a length of black plastic tubing with 90 degree bend attached to it. Where does this go? You'd think it would be obvious...the wire can only reach within about a 2" radius, but I don't see anything obvious.

this post is from someone else describing what is wrong with mine

C

Captncavmn

If you can't find where the mystery wire goes, forget it.

Look at the picture I posted on your posted picture. All this mess needs to be removed, CLEANED down to bare metal, reassembled and coated with dielectric grease. Look again.

View attachment 56875

slomo
It’s not my photo

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Not just an unconnected wire. Look at every connector in this picture. Anyone see anything odd?

What would cause this engine to not crank over?

Is this how these parts looked from the mower dealer?

Do you park the mower on the bottom of the ocean?

Before trying to figure out the other mystery wire, remedy this first. o_O?

Voltage drop, no. Voltage fall off a cliff, maybe.

View attachment 56874
that's my picture from my (used) JD RX75 Which cranks right up! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

anyway, OP, if you have a way to check for DC voltage, a multimeter, test light etc, hook it up to that wire (+ lead to the wire connector, - to ground, battery or frame bolt) and see if you get voltage with the key in the start position. if you get voltage with the key in the start position, most likely that is your trigger wire. though the connector is usually a flat spade not round.
do that and report back, if you can.

C

Captncavmn

This is my cord

C

Captncavmn

My photo

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

supposed to be a pic?
edit, there it is.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Are you able to check for voltage?

C

Captncavmn

Are you able to check for voltage?
I was not able to

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

one thing i should've mentioned first, Are you sure the blades are disengaged? and is the mower in Neutral when you try to start it.

C

Captncavmn

one thing i should've mentioned first, Are you sure the blades are disengaged? and is the mower in Neutral when you try to start it.
Yes all around a foot note it started before with a jump on the old battery mowed for about 10 mins shut off then replaced the battery and deck belt and didn’t start after that

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Battery hooked up correctly?
+to + and - to -

C

Captncavmn

Battery hooked up correctly?
+to + and - to -
Yes

S

slomo

Okay you two, pour it on with a dump truck. LOL I deserve that one or two LOL. Didn't read ALL of the top post I guess.

Clean your freaking connections ScrubCadet10, LOL. :p

P.S. I deleted my stupidity. Fully owning up to it though LOL.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Okay you two, pour it on with a dump truck. LOL I deserve that one or two LOL. Didn't read ALL of the top post I guess.

Clean your freaking connections ScrubCadet10, LOL. :p

P.S. I deleted my stupidity. Fully owning up to it though LOL.

slomo
I have an excuse. My wire brush is too big to fit in that small spot.?

S

slomo

That engine can't possibly crank or not for long anyway LOL.

slomo

C

Captncavmn

So do you know where that purple wire goes?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Have you asked your "friend" if he remembers removing a purple wire from somewhere?

C

Captncavmn

Have you asked your "friend" if he remembers removing a purple wire from somewhere?
That “friend “ is another post I found on here and I did write to them and asked them that question

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

the only thing i can say for sure is that the wire definitely doesn't go to the starter solenoid ( or at least to the starter mounted solenoid), i got the Part number for the solenoid and looked at a picture of it, and the only small connectors it's got are flat blades, not round ones.
this is as close to wiring diagram as i can find, funny how they all show that frame mounted solenoid in them. but everywhere i read, purple wire is a ground to the frame mounted solenoid....
t1940.gif
1623078696693.png

StarTech

StarTech

JD has wiring harness above but then they indicates a solenoid shift starter.

About the only way to know what is going here is to have a copy of the service manual and the mower's serial number.

C

Captncavmn

image0.jpeg

J

Joed756

Look closely at the gold starter, the small cylinder on top is the solenoid. Look closely at the solenoid in the photo and you will see a stab connector between the two threaded posts. Connect your purple-covered wire to that stab connector, start your motor and slap yourself on the back.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Look closely at the gold starter, the small cylinder on top is the solenoid. Look closely at the solenoid in the photo and you will see a stab connector between the two threaded posts. Connect your purple-covered wire to that stab connector, start your motor and slap yourself on the back.
The connector he has is round, the tab on the solenoid is a blade.
That's my interpretation of it.

E

enigma-2

Maybe the schmatic may help,

Attachments