Switching Blades from a HRN model to the HRX model Blades?

mikenilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Switching Blades from a HRN model to the HRX model Blades?
I just purchased a Honda HRN216VKA Lawn Mower. So far I love it! But I have a question about swapping blades. The HRX217VKA model has the 4-in-1 Versamow system that consists of a notched bag/mulch lever and a different main blade that has different ends. I assume it is for better mulching and leaf pickup. What I want to know is can I use the blades from the HRX217VKA model in my HRN216VKA model? The holes in the blade and the size of the blades look the same in the pictures. I can figure out a way to keep the mulch door open or closed at varying levels. I have used better Mulching blades on my Rider mower and other push mowers with great results. What is interesting is that the previous model of the version of mower I purchased (HRR216VKA) uses a blade that looks just like the HRX217VKA Blade.

HRN216VKA Blade:honda-lawn-mower-blades-08720-vr8-m00-64_1000.jpg
#08720-VR8-M00

HRX217VKA Blade:honda-lawn-mower-blades-08720-vh7-000-e1_145.jpghonda-lawn-mower-blades-08720-vl0-s00-64_1000.jpg
#08720-VH7-000

HRR216VKA Blade:honda-lawn-mower-blades-08720-vl0-s00-e1_145.jpghonda-lawn-mower-blades-08720-vl0-s00-64_1000-1.jpg
#08720-VL0-S00

Last edited:

mikenilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply but I already tried that and they were not helpful. Talked about only using parts made for your mower and voiding warranties. You know corporate stuff to protect them. But people mod and upgrade their mowers all the time with great results. I am just hoping that someone else had tried this and it worked for them or maybe a Honda mower service person has tried or could try this to see if it would work. My last resort would be to purchase the blades myself and see it it works.

mikenilson

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I can confirm that the blade for the HRR216VKA (08720-VL0-S00) fits my mower (HRN216VKA) and performs just fine. Now once I can figure out how to keep the mulch door open at varying steps my mower is capable of being a 4-in-1 Versamow system.

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
I would think that at least in the case of Honda, their blades and mower decks are designed and engineered to work together. I am sure if someone had all 7 or 8 blades that fit the HRS, HRR, HRN and HRX models you could certainly spot the differences. I reviewed manuals and replacement parts guides and the HRS is the only mower that I saw showing an optional blade (singe to double option). Blade length and hole pattern may allow you to mount any 21" Honda blade from current and past models to your HRN, but cutting performance may be negatively effected by changes in airflow. I am interested in how well the HRR baldes work for you.

I have change my HRS blades, but the optional blades for my mower are from the HRR216K8 and earlier models which are quadracut and not microcut. I have thought about trying just the bottom blade from the HRX as I primarily side discharge my clippings and I believe that this would give me the highest air velocity and disperse much better than the stock or quadracut blades. When mulching the quadracut would likely be best.

Speaking of blades, have you seen the blade used on EU spec HRX's?

72511-VK8-000.jpg

I have also seen double blade setups for EU HRS's, but I assume that the pictured blade was designed for noise compliance?

At the end of the day, the HRX may always out-cut or out-mulch the HRN because of the larger engine and deck design. Either way, share your experience so that others might benefit.

Mike