switch kohler engine to craftsman tractor

boston

Threads
I have two craftsman tractors and they both take kohler engines. Only one has an engine in it and I was wondering if I would be able to switch it to the other tractor, since its newer. One concern I had was that the previous engine on that tractor was a 19 HP and the one I want to put on is a 15 hp. Is this possible?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is very possilbe but may need minor wiring modification and the muffler on the current engine may not fit the new mower properly. But if you are switching craftsman to craftsman then it should work.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have two craftsman tractors and they both take kohler engines. Only one has an engine in it and I was wondering if I would be able to switch it to the other tractor, since its newer. One concern I had was that the previous engine on that tractor was a 19 HP and the one I want to put on is a 15 hp. Is this possible?

How would someone know this unless they have done this job? I would say put the two tractors together and just mach up everything as close as you can. Once this is done you would be the person with the skills and know how to know if it can be done. Look for things like exhaust, carburetor linkage, pulley, and wiring locations. Anything is possible with the right skills and equipment to do the work.

boston

Threads
Well it shouldnt be that hard since they are both kohler, but would the engine size difference matter?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it shouldnt be that hard since they are both kohler, but would the engine size difference matter?

As far as both being Kohler yes and no. If they are the same model I would say things would be close to being the same. Kohler has a lot of different model engines and I would make a bet that they would all be different. The older Kohler was the K or M series engines and newer engines are the command or courage. Being they both came off a sears tractor and close to the same year they could be very close. As I see it you have nothing to lose by giving it a try but your time and it sounds like a fun project to me. Lots of luck Nick

boston

Threads
The engine is a command and I don't think the newer tractor is a command also because the air filters are completely different

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine is a command and I don't think the newer tractor is a command also because the air filters are completely different

Well there you go if the air cleaner is different is the carburetor linkage different? Now I am not try to discourage you but you may have some custom work to do.