Export thread

swapping motors

B

Brent Laberge

hi looking for information regarding swapping a briggs and Stratton motor out for a honda motor on my husqevarna self propelled mower. can it be done? I hit a rock with my mower last week and bent the shaft as well as broke the oil sump. was recommended to me to buy a new motor for it by our local saw and pump store. I was wondering if its possible to put a honda motor on the chassis rather than the briggs that was on it

B

bertsmobile1

Most small engines will swap out because the mounting points are standardized
PTO shafts are also standardized but they do come as metric & imperial so be careful to measure.
USA Honda are generally imperial but imported Honda will be metric.

B

Brent Laberge

thanks

H

HurstGN

I swapped out a Tecumseh engine for a HF Predator engine on an ancient Ariens mower. Went the cheap knockoff route as I wasn't sure the mower was worth the effort and it was abused over it's 20 year life. Only had 2 obstacles, the shaft was slightly smaller on the replacement. Fixed that by inserting a sleeve to fill the gap. And the mounting holes were in different positions, but the deck had the mounting flange in the same diameter, so couple drilled holes later, and I was up and running. That mower gave me another 5 years of service before the drive mechanism went. Dumped the mower, still have the engine. :thumbsup: