SV740 Starter

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Has anybody put the Command Twin solenoid shift starter on a Courage twin in place of the inertial drive starter. BIL Cub Cadet snapped the starter shaft while trying to start the mower for an oil change the other day. Was thinking about doing the upgrade if it will fit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
never thought about trying but it should work as the service manual for the twin Courage covers the solenoid shift starter. Just make the Bendix has the right number of teeth to start with.

I know there is a 9 and 10 versions of the Courage inertia starter as I got laying on the bench. Just don't have CV solenoid shift starter in stock.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It looks like the one that broke is a 9 tooth, but supposedly the 9 tooth and 10 tooth are interchangeable. Also I have a SV740-0010 which supercedes to the 32 098 10-S inertia drive which supposedly is a 10 tooth and the SV740-0018 used the 25 098 20-S supercedes to 25 098 24-S solenoid shift starter which is also suppose to be a 10 tooth.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Has anybody put the Command Twin solenoid shift starter on a Courage twin in place of the inertial drive starter. BIL Cub Cadet snapped the starter shaft while trying to start the mower for an oil change the other day. Was thinking about doing the upgrade if it will fit.
Yes. It will fit just fine. Kohler used to in some cases warranty that swap. You just have to make sure you wire it correctly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Update. the 25 098 24-S bolted up and the original starter wire was long enough to connect to the solenoid on the shift starter. Extended the trigger wire from the original solenoid and moved the wire that went to the starter from the solenoid to the same side as the battery wire on the original solenoid, basically making a positive stud. And it fired right up and had no hesitation.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Added the 25 098 24-S PN as an alternate to the Kohler 32 098 10-S here in my parts database for future references.