Subaru EA190VS5050 Power Washer - pouring gas

catfish51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a thought if the gas looked dark and crappy when you took the carb apart and you had no trouble with the pressure washer when you used it do you think possibly your neighbor put some crapy gas in it and didn't want to say anything It might be a good idea to check out the gas in the tank Just a thought on my part

jviews12

Threads
I agree float valve, and NOT his fault.

For winter use, I like the antifreeze if you want, I just run it dry, gas tank EMPTYYYYYY, NOT stabilized. I DO NOT believe in sterilizer over winter except for emergency generator.

run carb dry, tank dry, pump dry. Have a merry christmas.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lesson for today: Never loan your stuff out to friends or family. I learned that the hard way.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Good points fellas. Correlation does not necessarily equal causation...

My neighbor is an old geek engineer like myself who is handy. I think in my case it was a stuck valve that I verified when I removed the bowl. The dark mixture was probably residue just sitting at the bottom of bowl.

Yeah you do need to be careful lending equipment to those who don't RTFM, especially pressure washers and letting the pump spin too long without moving water.

The stuck valve forced me to pull out my Honda GCV190, which was sitting in shed for 6 years. I burned out the pump cuz I left the engine running too long without moving water. Replaced the pump, but bought the Subaru and have been using that.

On the Honda I did a quick smoke test (checked it had spark) used a primer bulb gizmo ( made this and use all the time) to squirt some good gas into cylinder and see it would fire. It did, so then I drained gas tank/carb (fuel was bad) added fresh fuel, primed cylinder again and gave another smoke test. Took 4 pulls and it fired right up!!! This time I was lucky. Used for about 20 minutes then shut off and changed the oil.

Used again to finish up what I needed to get done. Now I have 2 pressure washers working again and would gladly let next door neighbor use cuz he knows what he's doin and he got me to move on the unit sitting in shed for 6 years. It was on the list, but was always pushed down on the list for 6 years. :ROFLMAO:

I'd be careful lending pressure washers to those not handy, burning out the pump is pretty easy. Lesson I learned the hard way.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Just a thought if the gas looked dark and crappy when you took the carb apart and you had no trouble with the pressure washer when you used it do you think possibly your neighbor put some crapy gas in it and didn't want to say anything It might be a good idea to check out the gas in the tank Just a thought on my part
Possibly, however in my case I don't think so (see my longer reply below)

jviews12

Threads
Thanks for the update, but AGAIN
I NEVER LEAVE OLD GAS IN TANK OR CARB. I DRAIN AND RUN DRY. NEVER HAD A STALE GAS ISSUE DOING IT THIS WAY.
(ALSO MY CHAINSAWS. I RUN THEM, DRAIN GAS, RUN DRY ALWAYS), AND THEY ARE GOOD FOR 5-8 YEARS UNTIL NEED NEW REBUIld. My 2 cents again.