Export thread

Stihl Yard Boss with brush cutter blade?

F

Filer

I'm looking for a machine to cut various shrubs around my property. I noticed that the Stihl Yard Boss can be outfitted with a trimming head which will accept a brush cutter blade. The implement can also be equipped with a pair of optional wheels.

Has anyone ever configured a Stihl Yard Boss in this manner, (wheels, brush cutter blade on trimming head) and if so, how effective is it at cutting through 2" diameter brush?

Fish

Fish

Are you talking about putting a trimmer gearhead on the mini-tiller?

Fish

Fish

What part of the state do you live in?

D

deminin

I'm looking for a machine to cut various shrubs around my property. I noticed that the Stihl Yard Boss can be outfitted with a trimming head which will accept a brush cutter blade. The implement can also be equipped with a pair of optional wheels. Has anyone ever configured a Stihl Yard Boss in this manner, (wheels, brush cutter blade on trimming head) and if so, how effective is it at cutting through 2" diameter brush?

I have a MM55 that I use primarily to till the garden. Putting a trimmer head on it, and installing a blade, might work. A better solution I have found is to mount an 8" carbide blade on my fS56 trimmer. I bought a blade adapter kit on EBAY for about $10, and I can easily mount a 8 or 10 inch circular saw blade to the trimmer. With this rig, I can slice right through brush and small trees, etc., when I'm chainsawing in my forest. It does require being quite careful, as there can be a substantial "kick back" when the spinning blade makes contact.

F

Filer

Are you talking about putting a trimmer gearhead on the mini-tiller?

Yes,...and then outfitting it with a circular saw blade for brush cutting.

Fish

Fish

The trimmer uses a flex drive cable, and not a steel driveshaft, so the inertia of a spinning blade would not be that good.

F

Filer

Thanks for the responses. Since starting this thread I've learned about the Echo Bear Cat rolling trimmer which will accept a 14" circular blade. I think it would be better for the purposes I need a brush cutter for.

Fish

Fish

Why do you want the wheels?
I put blades on my fs90 all of the time, also put on the chainsaw head.

Love them!!

R

Romore

I have a MM55 that I use primarily to till the garden. Putting a trimmer head on it, and installing a blade, might work. A better solution I have found is to mount an 8" carbide blade on my fS56 trimmer. I bought a blade adapter kit on EBAY for about $10, and I can easily mount a 8 or 10 inch circular saw blade to the trimmer. With this rig, I can slice right through brush and small trees, etc., when I'm chainsawing in my forest. It does require being quite careful, as there can be a substantial "kick back" when the spinning blade makes contact.
Two problems here. The FS56 has a cable drive shaft and light duty gearbox, it is not designed for use with a brush blade although it will work if you are careful not to jam the blade. The other is the blade. NEVER use a circular saw blade on a brush cutter. It is designed to cut wood at 3450 rpm, not rocks and fence wire at over 8,000. It could shatter and cause the operator a world of hurt.

D

deminin

Two problems here. The FS56 has a cable drive shaft and light duty gearbox, it is not designed for use with a brush blade although it will work if you are careful not to jam the blade. The other is the blade. NEVER use a circular saw blade on a brush cutter. It is designed to cut wood at 3450 rpm, not rocks and fence wire at over 8,000. It could shatter and cause the operator a world of hurt.

If you noted, I mentioned that using this method requires a good amount of caution. I have been doing this for quite some time...just cutting tough weed growth and small saplings to clear a path around trees I am getting ready to chainsaw. Only A FOOL would try to cut rocks and fence wire...or make such an assumption.

R

Romore

Rocks and fence wire appear in the most unlikely places. If you choose to ignore safe working practices to save a couple of bucks it's entirely up to you. I have seen shattered circular saw blades, it ain't pretty.

B

bertsmobile1

If you noted, I mentioned that using this method requires a good amount of caution. I have been doing this for quite some time...just cutting tough weed growth and small saplings to clear a path around trees I am getting ready to chainsaw. Only A FOOL would try to cut rocks and fence wire...or make such an assumption.

For that purpose they bake solid blades for brushcutters
Some have Carbide tip & others have a length of chain saw chain as well as plain sharpened teeth.
These are safe to use.
A lump of saw blade breaking off at 9000 rpm will go right through you foot, boots & all.
Brushcutter blades are designed to bend & buckle not shatter like a saw blade will do.

And as for not finding rocks & wire, you should see what turns up in the middle of a 1000 acre paddock with no road for several miles.