Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw dead and unrepairable after 15 minutes!

piccup

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw dead and unrepairable after 15 minutes!
I bought a new Stihl MS 170 chainsaw from Keith Ace Hardware, Brady, Tx. a few weeks ago. Took it home, cut four small logs (6") and put it away in the shed. Next day I could not start the saw so returned it to Ace hardware for service. They informed me a week later that the saw was broken and unrepairable due to the chain brake. I had a two year warranty on the saw but was informed that the warranty would not cover the unit. The saw operated for a total of 15 minutes before self converting into a paperweight. I had a cheap Poulan chainsaw that survived five years of hard service before croaking off. I will never recommend a Stihl product or purchase one again--piece of poorly engineered junk!

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a new Stihl MS 170 chainsaw from Keith Ace Hardware, Brady, Tx. a few weeks ago. Took it home, cut four small logs (6") and put it away in the shed. Next day I could not start the saw so returned it to Ace hardware for service. They informed me a week later that the saw was broken and unrepairable due to the chain brake. I had a two year warranty on the saw but was informed that the warranty would not cover the unit. The saw operated for a total of 15 minutes before self converting into a paperweight. I had a cheap Poulan chainsaw that survived five years of hard service before croaking off. I will never recommend a Stihl product or purchase one again--piece of poorly engineered junk!

So, you settled for one repairman's opinion?

He may not know his butt from a hole in the ground.

They put chain brakes on at the factory, seems a new one could be put on it.

If it is unrepairable...that should mean a free replacement.

Lawn Addict
Threads
So, you settled for one repairman's opinion?

He may not know his butt from a hole in the ground.

They put chain brakes on at the factory, seems a new one could be put on it.

If it is unrepairable...that should mean a free replacement.

Tell them you want to talk to Store Manager..

loco-diablo

Threads

There are laws to protect consumers in instances like this.. Don't you have a state mandated return policy in Texas? You should check the consumer laws with the state attorney generals office. Sounds like it broke just 2 days after purchase? They wont honor the warranty? They basically told you tough luck?
Did you contact Stihl directly?

Did you pay with a credit card? Most CC companies (AMEX for sure) provide coverage on items purchased.

I would not give up on this without a major fight.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Contact Stihl corporate headquarters with all information including Ace hardware dealers name, address, phone as well as persons name you did business with. Tell them you want your money back or new saw shipped to your home.

Deerlane

Threads
Find another Sthil dealer!