Stihl Limiter caps

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just checking to see which or how many limiter cap tools there are. I'm looking at a straight tool, with what appears to be backwards threads, but it doesn't look like it's the one I need for the MS250 I'm working on.
Note: My eyes aren't what they used to be. And the videos I'm seeing don't appear to be of the same limiters.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have that tool. It works on the old red caps. Does it have the new metal caps? Post a pic of the caps on the carb you have.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's the black ones. I took a razor and shaved off the stop tabs. But would nice to have the tool to remove them so I can adjust the carb and then put them back on without damaging them.

I also have a Homelite trimmer that has the red & white limiters, that I think you're talking about. It would be nice to see the tool used to remove those limiters. This one is in good shape. But the limiters are keeping me from adjusting it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Stihl manual just says to pull them off with pliers, and put new ones back on.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Due to the design of these caps it is nearly impossible to remove them in one piece.

Although Zama is barred by Stihl to sale these through the distributors there is still some on eBay

Stihl PN 4229 121 2701

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to get rhe red caps at a decent price. Dealer won't sell them anymore and since Stihl bought Zama i can't get any at a reasonable price. I just leave them off now since i don't work on any new saws nobody cares.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same story as the adjuster tools.
Unless you have the $ 20,000 worth of exhausty gas testing gear you are not allowed to mess with the carb and that applies to techs every bit as much as it does to Joe Public.
So regular dealers & wholesalers can not sell them lest they suffer the roth of the EPA
But some 1/2 witt can buy them direct from the factory that makes them and sell the same on abay or amazon with impunity.
Shows the total lunacy of the whole situation.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one of those sets. Works great. Haven't had a carb yet i can't adjust. Just don't tell the EPA police. My local stihl dealer doesn't have any fancy test equipment. What they do have are replacement limiter caps. If they work on a saw and tune it they just put new caps on and couldn't care less about the emissions. The government likes to scare people with huge potential fines that can't be enforced. Dealers have tools to remove limiter caps and new caps but none of them have emissions test equipment. Of course the dealer now does not work on any 2 stroke or 4 mix carbs. You get a new one plus labor. This includes a split primer bulb. They stock carbs now but no carb kits. They won't split a crankcase on a mower engine either. New engine or nothing. Mechanic there told me that if they work on an m-tronic saw not to tell customer what was wrong. They have had a lot of the m-tronic saws come in for bad metering solenoids. I won't work on an m-tronic saw for any type of starting or running issues.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Funny you should say that.
All 3 of my wholesalers sell the removing tool but none of them sell the caps
They all sell a 6 piece adjuster set that does most pre 2000 carbs .
They have all told me the EPA will not allow me to buy the latter tools from them unless I can prove I have the exhaust emissions gear
I spoke to some of my "tame" dealers & they gave me the same story , the franchise controller will not allow them to order the adjusting tool unless the rep has sighted the emissions gear and even then they are only "allowed" to order 1 for each licensed tech employed and only after those techs have completed & passed the carb update course.
Thus it is toss the old carb & replace it with a new one which according to them comes preset .