Starts every time but never easy!

wtc101

Threads
OK guys...I have a 1999 Craftsman Yard Vac Model # 247.77010 (Sears eng# 143.994510) Displacement is 195. I think the Tecumseh # is LEV120 361000?

Anyway, this machine always starts on one pull. The issue is that I stand 6'3" and need every inch of the long starter cord to get the motor running. Does anyone know of a fix...say something that I can do so it will turn over with less cord pull?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should feel resistance from compression within the first foot of rope if the recoil is working right. I'm having a feeling you be having to pull through sever compressions to build enough pressure to start.

Has the engine ever been worked on like valves etc.

wtc101

Threads
CRAFTSMAN 4.5 HP YARD VACUUM Parts | Model 24777010 | Sears PartsDirect

ENGINE Diagram & Parts List for Model 143014500 Craftsman-Parts All-Products-Parts | SearsPartsDirect adjust valves

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf Tecumseh engine manual

Remove starter from top of engine & inspect visually, also starter cup topside of flywheel, if all looks ok put a very small amount of white lube grease inside starter cup walls.

Thanks for the advise...will inspect in the near future

wtc101

Threads
You should feel resistance from compression within the first foot of rope if the recoil is working right. I'm having a feeling you be having to pull through sever compressions to build enough pressure to start.

Has the engine ever been worked on like valves etc.

This makes sense...I did replace the lower shaft seal a few years ago. At that time I took liberties with general clean-up and adjustments...things that a novice could do. When done, it started much the same as it did before the service and now since. However, you cause me to realize that when I slowly pull the cord (trying to set the valves closed) it really does not seem to ever get to that point where the cord gets that "stop" caused by the valves setting closed. Any suggestion here?