Export thread

Starts easily but wont run under load???

J

jfmoore79

I have a Craftsman 46' 20HP lawn tractor that is having an odd issue. The mower will start without a problem and run for a few minutes but once you increase load (Speed or blades) it starts to hesitate/sputters and dies. It will start back up but the problem continues.

I have replaces the plug and filters just in case. Could this be a fuel shut off solenoid problem? Ignition? How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh

J

jfmoore79

Still havent solved the problem...anybody have a guess?

R

Rivets

Some engine model numbers would help??? With out knowing them I would guess that you either have a carb or valve problem. Also, a more exact post of what is happening will help us picture what is happening. Remember you are our eyes and ears and right now the picture we see is very blurry.

J

jfmoore79

See if any of this helps...

Craftsman DLS 3500 - 6speed, NON hydrostatic
20 hp Briggs - Engine Model Number - 31P977, Type Number 0635-E1

The best way to describe the problem is that the engine will start without issue, idles well, and I can put into a slow gear and move.

Within a short amount of time the engine will begin to "cut out", sputter, and die - just like what happens when you run out of gas. I can restart the engine but the issue continues.

I went on and put a new plug in and made the fuel line and filter werent clogged. Put a new filter in just in case.

I have heard that sometime she fuel shut off solenoid will stick or stop working so I plan to test it next. I also read that sometimes the ignition unit can become defective but I dont know where it is or how to test.

Thanks for everyones help!

R

Rivets

Sorry I haven't been around to answer, deer hunting this weekend and no Internet at deer camp. I would either rebuild the carb or have a shop do it. You could also test the fuel pump if it has one. This manual might be of some help.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/05_273521TwinCylinderOHV.pdf

metz12

metz12

Its a ground in the kill switch wire. when you jump back to start it hits some sort of metal on the frame or whatever. If it is then there should be some sort of break in the wire where theres some sort of plastic thing with ears on it connecting it to the engine. It happened on my yard machines when i went around a left turn or turned the blades on. hope that helps!:laughing:

If you have any more questions about it then feel free to ask!

D

DaveTN

I have a Craftsman 46' 20HP lawn tractor that is having an odd issue. The mower will start without a problem and run for a few minutes but once you increase load (Speed or blades) it starts to hesitate/sputters and dies. It will start back up but the problem continues.

I have replaces the plug and filters just in case. Could this be a fuel shut off solenoid problem? Ignition? How can I troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh
I worked on a Sears 14HP riding mower last year. It would start up, idle ok. Put it under a load and it would die. Let it sit there for 5 minutes or so and it would start up and do the same thing. It had one of those carburetors that had the float, needle, inlet and all in the BOWL area and snapped up to the gasket and pickup tube on the bottom of the carburetor. I hate that design! Anyway it was a fuel starvation problem. A tiny piece of plastic was partially covering the fuel inlet hole in the bottom of the bowl where the drain plug screws in. It was a clear piece and very difficult to detect even after I looked at it several times and thought it was ok. I finally ran a stiff wire through it and saw the plastic pop out on the other side. Re-assembled it and it ran great and still is. Could be some blockage coming from the filter into the carburetor or perhaps above the needle and seat area. You might also try and enrich the mixture screw. Hope this helps.

metz12

metz12

I worked on a Sears 14HP riding mower last year. It would start up, idle ok. Put it under a load and it would die. Let it sit there for 5 minutes or so and it would start up and do the same thing. It had one of those carburetors that had the float, needle, inlet and all in the BOWL area and snapped up to the gasket and pickup tube on the bottom of the carburetor. I hate that design! Anyway it was a fuel starvation problem. A tiny piece of plastic was partially covering the fuel inlet hole in the bottom of the bowl where the drain plug screws in. It was a clear piece and very difficult to detect even after I looked at it several times and thought it was ok. I finally ran a stiff wire through it and saw the plastic pop out on the other side. Re-assembled it and it ran great and still is. Could be some blockage coming from the filter into the carburetor or perhaps above the needle and seat area. You might also try and enrich the mixture screw. Hope this helps.

the same thing happened to my generator in 2011. there was a huge hole in the float and that plastcipiece was no where to be seen. and guess what? its a craftsman generator too.

J

jefftinker

I have a craftsman-Kohler 16.5hr OHV model CV16S-43527 in runs well but when I put a load on it by putting it in gear or engaging the blades it stalls out.
I have already replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines and calibrator but it still stall's out under a load. what can it be now?

AVB

AVB

Will need the mower's model from the serial number tag. Depending on the wiring setup it may be a safety that is the problem.

J

jefftinker

its a kohler 16.05 OHV model CV16S 43527

J

jefftinker

I have a craftsman-Kohler 16.5hr OHV model CV16S-43527 in runs well but when I put a load on it by putting it in gear or engaging the blades it stalls out.
I have already replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines and calibrator but it still stall's out under a load. what can it be now?

AVB

AVB

That is the engine info and not the riding mower model number. The mower model number most starts with 247 or 917.

logert gogert

logert gogert

its okay dude i had the same issue about people telling me " GET YOUR SERIAL NUMBER" and i would never listen lol

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

It really helps when the people who are helping live halfway across the nation, or globe from you.

logert gogert

logert gogert

are you talking about me???????

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

To everyone in general who sees the post.

logert gogert

logert gogert

is that sarcasm or r u for real

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

is that sarcasm or r u for real
Model numbers help us look up parts lists and images

R

Rivets

Logert, if you have no suggests to help solve them problem, please stay out of the thread. You’re not help, especially when you reply like you’re on a device which counts your characters, we use full words and sentences. Jeff, as AVB requested we need the units model and serial numbers. With them we can get you a wiring diagram and make better suggests as to how to proceed.

B

bertsmobile1

its okay dude i had the same issue about people telling me " GET YOUR SERIAL NUMBER" and i would never listen lol
no one is having a shot at you
However engine makers change specifications all the time
Download any Briggs parts book & you will see multiple parts changes over a model run.
Add to that 17 Hp tells us absolutely nothing we need to know which on of the 4 different 17 Hp engines he has.
When aa new engine gets released there are always teething problems so it helps us to know if the mower has for instance an oil flow problem as happened with the current 7000 series.
17 Hp Courage engines before a particular date had problems with the crankcase screws loosening and they have adjustable rockers
Where as the 17 Hp Command engine has hydraulic lifters & a different crank case and crank for that matter.

logert gogert

logert gogert

Logert, if you have no suggests to help solve them problem, please stay out of the thread. You’re not help, especially when you reply like you’re on a device which counts your characters, we use full words and sentences. Jeff, as AVB requested we need the units model and serial numbers. With them we can get you a wiring diagram and make better suggests as to how to proceed.
yes sir, im sorry

B

bertsmobile1

If you never listen then you never learn.
We are here to help people and part of that is getting them to help us.
If you knew more you would understand that Craftsman is just a marketing name for Sears.
So without the model number he have no idea who made the mower. It could have been Murray , Noma , AYP , MTD or even be a fully imported mower with a Chinese Kohler in it .

logert gogert

logert gogert

If you never listen then you never learn.
We are here to help people and part of that is getting them to help us.
If you knew more you would understand that Craftsman is just a marketing name for Sears.
So withut the model nuber he have no idea who made the mower. It could have been Murray , Noma , AYP , MTD or even be a fully imported mower with a Chinese Kohler in it .
no, i understand sir, i eventually did give the number to them but when they, asked me to the first time i didnt acknowledge it

AVB

AVB

Okay, let's get back to jefftinker problem; although, he should had started new thread instead posting to older thread. That's is mute point now.

What we have so far is he has a Rider with Kohler engine CV16-43527 that runs well but when he put a load on it by putting it in gear or engaging the blades it stalls out.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Do you engage the blades at full throttle or mid range?

B

bertsmobile1

Now getting back on track.
Start your engine then get off and manually open the throttle butterfly bu pushing on the governor rod.
The engine should accelerate up to about 4000 rpm without faultering,
If it does this then the governor is at fault.
'If it dosent then you have an engine problem

AVB

AVB

The CV16-43527 specs are Idle Speed 1750 RPM/High Speed 3300 RPM not 4000 rpm. Although it can run at 4000 it is not design to do so on this mower.

J

jefftinker

its a craftsman 42" cut I cant find a S.# or a model # for the mower just the engine I will look agin

J

jefftinker

OK i found it it was covered in dirt its a craftsman 6spped 16.5hr model # 91727113

J

jefftinker

Start your engine then get off and manually open the throttle butterfly bu pushing on the governor rod.
ok tried that and it still stalls out so i guess its the engine. would it be a easy fix or just junk it.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

When you did the test bertsmobile1 told you where you open the carb butterfly manually and the engine stumbles I would suspect the main jet in the carb needs cleaned. You might remove and clean the carb before pulling the head to check the valves.

J

jefftinker

When you did the test bertsmobile1 told you where you open the carb butterfly manually and the engine stumbles I would suspect the main jet in the carb needs cleaned. You might remove and clean the carb before pulling the head to check the valves.
it has a new carb fuel filter and fuel lines. sounds like more troble tahn its worth if i have to rebuild the engine

O

one_fjr_pilot

Bertsmobile, when you say "if it doesn't then you have an engine problem" - can you elaborate? My crafstsman T2500 is not that old and just started doing as described in the original question. sputters under load. I replaced the fuel and fuel filter, cleaned the jets and carb with carb cleaner, cleaned the air filter and tried your procedure above, it runs fast and clean when you operate the governor rod, but when you run it at full throttle (mowing, or just driving it) and the pedal is all the way down it sputters. Running at lower throttle it does not sputter, but is clearly too slow to mow. :)

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

B

bertsmobile1

You have to understand that an engine under load requires more fuel than an engine with no load on it.
This is why we call an unloaded engine running @ 3500 prm a "HIGH IDLE" becaus that is exactly what it is doing
Running on the idle jet or most likely 90% idle & 10 % main jet.
When you load the engine by putting the blades on the throttle has to open further in order to spin at the same speed.
IT is exactly the same as you driving up a steep hill.
You put your foot hard down on the gass but the engine spins at exactly the same speed.
So the governor allows the throttle to open wide and when that happens any obstruction to the main jet or extra effort to draw the fuel into the engine ( low float level ) will cause the engine to faulter
Squirting goo up a carbs skirt is not cleaning the carb
IT has to be dissassebbled and cleaned manually , or soaked in a strong solvent or subjected to ultrasonic cleaning to do it properly.
If you go through all of the posts here you will find hundreds when the original posted started out saying they had cleaned the carb
Then they get directed to soewhere like the outdoor power Equipment site which shows how to do the job properly
25 % come back to say thanks, I did it proprly & now the mower runs fine
70% just vanish so we can assume the cleaning worked
5 % come back with another problem because the cleaning did not work.