Starting when hot

Tommy81399

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler SD 48", it runs fine but if I cut if off for any reason after I run it for a period of time, it has to sit for a while before it'll crank. I'm guessing it's cooling down. What causes this?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need to dragging out the volt meter. You need the voltages at the starter when this is happening.

I know it sound crazy but the starter could be failing when heated. I only seen this once and it was last year on a JD Z830A. The engine started fine when cold but after mowing a while I carry it back to the shop as everything seem fine. W-ell went to move- out my way 30 minutes later and I had a no crank condition. All the voltages were present so installed a new starter and no more problems. As I said it the first it has happen in 14+ yrs but apparently it can happen.

Tommy81399

Forum Newbie
Threads
Need to dragging out the volt meter. You need the voltages at the starter when this is happening.

I know it sound crazy but the starter could be failing when heated. I only seen this once and it was last year on a JD Z830A. The engine started fine when cold but after mowing a while I carry it back to the shop as everything seem fine. W-ell went to move- out my way 30 minutes later and I had a no crank condition. All the voltages were present so installed a new starter and no more problems. As I said it the first it has happen in 14+ yrs but apparently it can happen.
Thanks

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Removing the spark plugs / plugs and see if it will crank might help to determine if the starter will operate when hot .

Mr. Mower

Threads
😄......if that individual knows how to read and comprehend English....then they more than likely know how to write (in this case type) in English.

Though it's just someone posting a scam of some sort....that's all that is.....Moderator please delete that post.

Reverett

Threads
I agree that the starter is a possible cause but a weak firing coil could be the issue as well. I had same issue on a JD Z445 and after many hours diagnosing replaced coils and no more problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I agree that the starter is a possible cause but a weak firing coil could be the issue as well. I had same issue on a JD Z445 and after many hours diagnosing replaced coils and no more problem.
Normally that can be the cause but not for a no crank issue. That would be related to cranking but not starting up issue.

In this case even a PTO clutch could cause the problem if it is borderline shorted. I had one F525 that would not crank due low battery voltage after mowing 30 minutes but battery would develop enough surface charge sitting 30 + minutes that it would crank and startup again. But like this are rare so it takes a lot more troubleshooting than normal.