Export thread

starting seeds in winter for summer use

B

bret

i have read a few articles which people plant their seeds in winter for summer use, does anyone do this? Can it only be done in warmer places or does it matter? I am just curious.

M

Madi

I hang mine upside down in brown paper bags in my greenhouse, it collects them in the bag as the plant dries out. So far, so good, I don't really know of any other ways to collect them.

S

SallyA

You almost have to have a sunny enclosed area, like a greenhouse, that's heated to start seeds in areas where winter is cold. Otherwise, about the time you could start them outside, it's already time to plant the plants.

B

bret

Sounds like I need to get this greenhouse idea going quicker than I once thought. I think I may be looking into this right away. It seems like a cool way to do things.

173abn

173abn

bret, yes a greenhouse definitely helps but you could also consider a cold frame to get an early start . russ

Z

Zeroturn

I don't see why you could not just keep them in your house. I know a lot of people that start their seeds early on. They put them in egg cartons and watch them grow (of course they water them and put them in the window for sun).

dria

dria

I would like to know more about this too. I do not have a green house and I won't be getting one. Still I want to start my garden plants off inside as well as my flowers. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for grow lights either. More ideas and suggestions on this would be great. Thanks! :smile:

T

Thunder

Any kind of structure that keeps the seeds warm if it's really cold outside should do. My grandparents always used their barn. It was well insulated from all the hay.

dria

dria

Hrm, well I suppose growing them in the basement might be bad as it does tend to get cold down there. If I did get some lights would I have to get special ones?

M

mowsby

I know there are special growing lights but I have seen people do it with bright sun lamps and fluorescents. I know the special growing lights cost a lot so other kinds might be better.

K

KennyV

If I did get some lights would I have to get special ones?

Get 'full spectrum' or daylight bulbs... there are also some labeled as grow lights...
The most practical and economical are the little curly cue screw in replacement bulbs that are 'daylight' ... They can be put on a timer and are very cheap to operate, will last for years. 8 to 12 hours a day is plenty... :smile:KennyV